1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Americas] Arizona House Backs Strict Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Just one thing about context. This was at some function where he was using humor and jokes all over the place. It wasn't like he was serious and then laid that out.

Now, it doesn't change MY mind, but I thought that context should still be known.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Humor against a political opponent isn't humor. Making fun of a political opponent to a partisan crowd is an attack. Context aside, it remains arrogant and condescending.

I'm really less impressed by Obama lately than at first. I knew he would be a big spender, but frankly I thought he might actually try to bring some stability to the political process, and he really hasn't, despite pretty speeches.

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

It wasn't a partisan crowd. It was the White House Correspondents' dinner. It is only about jokes, fun, and humor. It's the same dinner where Bush made the joke about looking for WMD's (and peeked under the table, etc.). Every president for years (and all the guests) have made jokes at the expense of themselves (as Obama also did) and their opponents and everyone else. It's a comedy event. (See, for example, Rich Little and Ronald Reagan's hilarious outing at the 1985 dinner. Or Bill Clinton's mock documentary).

Jan Brewer needs to grow a sense of humor. Or maybe she can hire a few illegal immigrants to build one for her. (see? that was funny, right? :))

4. Copzilla

Correspondents are partisan, with regards to Obama.

Regardless, I saw Alec Baldwin's face there, and I don't think too many conservatives were invited, seriously, do you?

That's a partisan crowd.

5. joseftu

No, no conservatives. They can't get tickets. There's a literacy test, and that makes it awfully hard for them. ;)

OK, Copzilla, I won't argue this one. Obama should never tell jokes, you're right. It's wrong for him to ever even crack a smile. If he has to mock anyone, he should only mock Harry Reid. And no farting, either. It's intensely disrespectful and could be considered as an attack on the Republican leadership.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Obama is partisan from the moment he wakes up and chooses the left side of the bed to roll off instead of the right. Also I think the worst part is, he signs all the bills congress sends him with his left hand, just to stick it to the GOP.

7. Copzilla

He shouldn't tell jokes that others will predictably find offensive.

8. Techie2000

And I thought I was supposed to be the one playing the role of the tightly wound partisan...

9. Copzilla

What is partisan about that notion, Techie?

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's partisan because you're clearly critical of Obama. That's the only reason.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe we've sunk to the level where any and all criticism of Obama, no matter how well-founded or researched, results in his defenders rushing to get their shields up no matter what. I guess we can kiss critical thinking goodbye.

SM

11. Techie2000

To the extent you are feeling crabby, please feel free to put a crab emoticon (V.v.V) at the bottom of your anti-Obama posts and I will take it as an indicia that I should not criticize your criticism of Obama.

12. Sierra Mike

If you mean me, just how many anti-Obama posts have I made? I think being critical of his actions or lack thereof while having reasonable information to back up that criticism hardly makes me "anti-Obama".

SM

13. Copzilla

Apparently it makes you partisan, though.

14. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

You're right, it doesn't make you "anti-Obama." It makes you racist. :)

15. Techie2000

I'm not saying that it makes you partisan, I'm suggesting that you're inherently partisan and that the criticism of the correspondant's dinner makes you tightly wound.

16. Copzilla

Orly? Again - What is partisan about the notion that the President should not make jokes that others will predictably find offensive?

Second question - What party do you think I'm partisan for?

17. Sierra Mike

I so hate it when my inner racist comes out like that. ;)

SM

18. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What? You didn't feel his post was cute and you were going to save his humorous post for posterity?

19. joseftu

Is it also offensive when Arnold Schwarzenegger makes a joke?
    If White House correspondents are a partisan audience, then so is the graduating class at Emory University (for the record, I would say that neither of those is a partisan audience).

To be honest, I think Schwarzenegger's joke was funnier--mainly because with his accent, I can't help but smile at everything he says! :)

20. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Probably the best thing that could happen to California!

(How's that for a joke!)