1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americans Fleeing US -- Seeking refuge in Canada

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sensationalism at its best.

Take this article by the <a href="http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035776067221&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467">Toronto Star</a>. It screams:

The number of Americans making refugee claims in Canada has skyrocketed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, according to statistics from the Immigration and Refugee Board.

The number of Americans seeking refuge in Canada increased by 135 per cent before the end of October over the entire previous year.

Shocking right? Until you actually look at the numbers. Out of 287 million Americans, from January to the end of October last year, 191 filed refugee claims citing persecution in the U.S., compared with 81 in 2001.

Woooooooooooow.

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Hell, Ethics, wait until word gets out that pot is legal. Now that figure is just Bubbas who heard Canada has half decent beer.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

OK, How many of them are we stuck with down here escaping the Third World Status of Canada? I mean fair is fair, we send them 191 refugees and they send thousands of economic refugees seeking jobs. ;)

4. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

The Toront Star is a known tabloid... they're always extreme.

A somewhat more reasonable article can be seen here:
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1041257271735_88/?hub=Canada

Only one "refugee" from the US was ever given sanctuary, and that decision was overturned a year or two later.

"Vancouver immigration lawyer Phil Rankin said most of the American refugee claimants he's dealt with suffer mental illnesses that lead them to believe they are persecuted in the United States.

Others are trying to avoid prosecution south of the border.

None of them are successful, he said.

"Nobody's going to buy that the United States is not a democratic place," Rankin said. "The problems that a lot of people have are legal. . . . That doesn't make you a refugee."

There's been an increase in refugee claims across the board, said Janet Dench, executive director of the Montreal-based Canadian Council for Refugees.

The council doesn't know why the number of claims against the U.S. has increased, she said. But they have heard from claimants who had been living in the U.S. who say they no longer felt safe there after Sept. 11, 2001 because of their country of origin.

"Last year we noticed that there were quite a lot of Pakistanis," Dench said. "

5. ethics

Ah, thanks for the voice of reason from Canada, Advocat. :)

6. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Pot is legal in Canada? Now we know what happend to Pumcake.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

8. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Not quite yet, but the government is making noises about decriminalizing it shortly; possession of something like 30 grams or less will result in a fine rather than a jail term and criminal record.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Suspect the Liberals are making those noises (pot decriminalization) to draw attention away from their billion dollar fuck up with the gun registry program.

10. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Canadian Moosehead beer. Taste great, smells bad.

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

If they decriminalize pot they will MAKE billions in tourism.

And yes, Moosehead does smell like mammal urine, but tastes like good skunky queeb brew - mmm!

;)

12. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I read an article in the paper the other day about a small town in the Netherlands being all upset about the "day-trippers" coming from Germany to buy dope.

13. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I have read in recent weeks that there is discussion of bringing back the draft. I was not aware that it had already happened though.

14. Biker

Wouldn't work these days as there's an agreement in place between the US and Canada to return all draft dodgers.

15. ethics

Re: Re: Americans Fleeing US -- Seeking refuge in Canada

LMAO!

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Interesting. Pot becoming legal in Canada, Canadian beer smells like horse piss and Stanley has disappeared. Trying to figure out the connection -- there must be one. :)

17. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Are there any good Networking positions there? I just might be able to feel "persecuted" for not being able to find a decent IT job in the NY metro area since 9/11 myself!:p

18. Biker

No... Most of the folks I know that are trying to find work there are heading south. It's pretty difficult finding a decent IT job right now.