1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American TV Losing Out In Global Ratings War

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 4, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I am not a big fan of IHT, but wanted to share the column with you, regardless, since it has some decent points.

As little as a few years ago, American TV shows like Dallas, Baywatch, or Twin Peaks were the toast not only of US but also of Europe and Asia as well. But at a time when the influence of the United States on international affairs has chafed friends and foes alike, and when American culture has become increasingly dominant around the world, <a href="http://www.iht.com/articles/81976.html">American TV shows are increasingly relegated to late night time slots as locally produced shows have come to dominate prime time. </a>

A 2001 Nielsen Media Research study has found that 71% of the top ten programs in 60 countries were locally produced in 2001, representing a steady increase over previous years. American movies still do well on foreign TV, but dramatic or comedic shows are consistently rated much lower than domestically produced shows.

Here's a take I agree with as to what is responsible for the turnaround.

For one thing, the cost of American TV series has increased fivefold in the last decade.

'The studios priced themselves out of prime time,' says Harry Evans Sloan, Chairman of SBS Broadcasting, a pan-European broadcaster.

For another, newly privatized commercial broadcasters and upstart cable and satellite networks have taken off across Europe and Asia. These new broadcasters have invested substantial sums of money in local programming more reflective of the local tastes, culture, and historical events in other countries.

Finally, some countries have followed France's (gotta love them) lead in setting quotas on American content on television.

Let me also address something that seems to be a problem with me. Baywatch? Twin Peaks? Dallas? The MOST watched?

Perhaps the US is doing something right and creating more shows that have reality issues and how to address them rather than just eye candy.

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Perhaps the decline shows improving taste abroad. Most American TV sucks.

3. ethics

Apparently you didn't read my last statement.

Baywatch and Twin Peaks were more viewed abroad than here.

That's quality?

4. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

This may be a good thing because TV is a bad influence on US citzens. I just hope that we don't get French programing if US TV prices themselves out of their own home market.

5. ethics

Good point, Fritz.

So the countries want to have more local TV? Let them. :)

6. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

American TV really IS crap!

American soaps are crap, Bold and the Boring, Our Dreary Lives, etc.

American News is crap.

American game shows are crap.

American shows such as 'Springer etc' are CRAP ( my 14yo grand-daughter LOVES 'em).

American docos (sometimes) are crap.

John.

7. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

PS,

Australian TV has a minimum of Australian content but not a maximum of foreign content.

John.

8. ethics

Agreed on all.

American movies, certainly many of them, kick ass.

Sports, kicks ass.

Documentaries on History Channel, Tech TV, Discovery, NG, and PBS kick ass.

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, Sex and the City is certainly smoking overseas. I wonder if The Sopranos will have the same resonance?

SM