1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

America: You can vote even if you are not a citizen and can't read or write English.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Jedi Writer, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

The State of California Orange County registrar was embarrassed by a series of errors in the recent election that included improper Vietnamese translation and precincts running out of Spanish ballots on Election Day.

Now call me racist and offensive if you will, but last time I checked only U.S. citizens are legally permitted to vote. The fact we dont make any attempt to enforce this little technicality annoys me. It is also a fact that non-citizens vote all the time.

That we need to have ballots printed in Spanish and Vietnamese to be valid also tends to bother me some too, although I have mixed feelings since I dont want any citizen to be deprived of their right to vote because they lack the ability to read the ballot. But if they have their citizenship shouldnt they at least know enough English to read a ballot printed in English? I thought you had to pass a certain level of English on a test as part of the process to get your citizenship. That is the way it used to be. Have they changed that requirement for citizenship? I really dont know.

Why dont we verify citizenship when one registers to vote? Do we really have to print ballots in dozens of languages?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There is no legal language in this country. I would be for one. I would never ask anybody to give up their heritage or outtlaw people speaking in their own language. But I feel one common language for government and schools would speed up the melting of the melting pot. Of course, we should provide free English courses for the newly arrived.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Shiny, the exact purpose of providing ballots in multiple languages is the same purpose as the DMV providing a driver's license test in multiple languages....and that reason is decidedly anti-assimilation. California is overwhelmingly a democrat run state. It is absolutely no secret that democrats in this state welcome the illegals, in fact they legislate for them as once they're legal they're a huge voter base. Small wonder that they're active in getting them to vote before it's actually legal for them to cast a vote.

California has, unequivocably the most corrupt state government in the history of the U.S. The county Jedi cited has the largest illegal population. The illegal alien voting block is now a real issue that the political whores are fighting over. The roadkill possum eatin' sonsabitches would rather contend for a potential new power base than address the issues real Americans see. In short, they don't give a rats ass about our vote, they want the vote they can have in 15 years...or sooner if illegals are allowed to vote.

4. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Yeah, give immigrants everything on a platter. Hand it to them just like the Democrats did with Social Security.

<li> Free education
    <li> Free business licenses
    <li> Free medical care
    <li> Free this
    <li> Free that

And I'm supposed to pay for this bullshit? I think not!

If a foreigner wants to share in the wealth of this country, he/she needs to...

<li> Enter this country legally
    <li> <b>LEARN ENGLISH</b>, and it is not my responsibility to teach it to them with my tax dollars either!
    <li> <b>WORK</b> for everything they get, a concept foreign to the Liberal/Democratic party
    <li> Or get the Hell out and go back to whatever little shithole it is they came from.

Mexicans.

I have a deep respect for first generation Mexicans who <b>LEGALLY</b> immigrate over here. They work their asses off for very small wages. They are very family oriented. And they haven't done anything that any one of us wouldn't have done, were we in their shoes.

But most of them have a real problem with learning to speak English, and that chaps my hide. And ya know... It's really ALMOST overlookable due to the fact that they are so God damned hard working and family oriented, two virtues I admire with utmost respect.

Then you have your second, third and fourth generation Mexicans.

The desire to work decreases significantly. The family values thing slowly starts to fade away. Why? For two reasons...

1) They don't know how damned good they have it in this country because they have nothing to compare it to.
    2) Ironically enough, it is because they speak English and get tied in with this hip hop culture. They think they know everything, when in fact they don't know shit about life and are no more than a squirrel trying to get a nut in <b>MY</b> world.

They see how other Americans <small>(LIBERALS/DEMOCRATS)</SMALL> get everything handed to them with just a little bit of whining and begging, so they go the easy route.

<i>Soooo...</i>

I am split on this issue because I firmly believe that English is the language of this country, but I understand whole-heartedly why those first generation Mexicans do not put more effort into teaching their children English.

Looking at this country from a neutral stance, and it's increasing state of welfare, crime, drugs, corruption, political correctness and Liberalism, I wouldn't want my child to learn English either.

5. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Simply a reminder that the original topic of this thread is:

1. Why don't we verify citizenship to vote?

2. Why should we require ballots for citizens in a language other than English?

3. As a requirement of citizenship don't we require a certain level of proficiency be demonstrated in order to qualify in part for citizenship?

6. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Because Democrats/Liberals don't want that.
    Because that's the way Democrats/Liberals want it. Then they can sneak more illegals into the ballot booths.
    No, Democrats/Liberals don't want that either.

You see... It all falls in their favor and too many Conservatives/Republicans don't have backbone enough to put them in their place for fear of being labeled with one of the Liberals' childish names. You know... bigot... racist... hater. To many Conservatives think that simply voting is enough. They need to get out and protest these protestors.

But that's changing very quickly now. After seeing the results of this last election, I'm starting to think that maybe there is hope afterall. :_

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Well since citizenship is almost never verified or checked when one registers to vote, illegals already are voting in every election.

8. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

This is very, very true which begs the question, "<i>How badly would the Democrats be losing if more stringent policing were done</i>?" and gives the Democrats all the more reason to fight against this kind of legislation. They'll stop at nothing to win an election, and they <b>still</b> lost! LMAO! rofl

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

They do, actually...in Alhambra, California, there's a HUGE Chinese population, and there are free language courses that run for three hours per day at the high school.

SM

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

People who object to giving free English courses should consider the expense of not giving these courses. Penny wise, pound foolish.

11. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Yeah, if you want to get something to eat downtown around Alambra Blvd and Garvey, you had better speak Chinese. You are not going to find any Carl's Jr's!

12. Sierra Mike

Sure you will! Also El Pollo Loco, Arby's, and Mickey Ds.

Not that I have any trouble; I can speak Mandarin, which always scares the white off the rice in most Chinese establishments.

SM

13. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I must be blind then, (a definite possibility.) Sure you will find then all over Alhambra, but not along Garvey between Alhambra and Atlantic.

14. Sierra Mike

San Gabriel is much worse than Alhambra; there are still about 20,000 non-Asians in Alhambra, which has a population of 90,000. The rest are all apparently Chinese (from the mainland and Taiwan) and Vietnamese.

Though most of the Viets are in OC now.

SM

15. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

HaYwIrE, right now this is not a democrat/liberal issue the way you make this (and almost every other issue) out to be. It is a Republican issue. What has the GOP done to stop illegals from entering the country? I don't see Mr. Bush signing laws forcing the polls to verify citizenship when he could <b>easily</b> get a bill through our Republican controlled congress and get signed by our Republican President. How dare you blame this all on Liberal Democrats when your own party has done next to nothing to help the issue on a national level, after over two years of being in office...

16. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

At the level I am talking about this is a non-partisan issue. You can't vote unless you register. You are supposed to be a citizen to register. But there are no checks to verify citizenship when you register. So anybody can register. Then they can vote. Osama bin Laden could register and vote and even use a fake name and picture ID.