1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Trying to Enter Delivery Business

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Not drones, not some hyped up novelty, but basic delivery the way USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc... deliver packages.

Allow me for some anecdotal experiences:

USPS: I live in a building. USPS used to deliver packages to each door but with so many packages to deliver (I guess this is my theory vs the laziness factor) they just dumb the cache downstairs in the lobby for anyone to grab. Has worked on a basic honor system, you come in, pick up YOUR package, you move on. Well, you know how things go with humans though, right? Without the hyperbole of bringing in the whole human factor of how communes of humans are fetid pools of vileness, packages started to be -- technically correct term -- stolen. The problem got so bad, I had to buy one of those services that take your stuff in (140 a year).

UPS: We have a different problem here. Allow me to illustrate:

Image-1-1.jpg

That delivery? Yah, never rang the bell or knocked on the door. Basically an email to me stating, "hey, you weren't home, we tried so desperately to deliver this to you but... you were not home!!" We had 3 adults there through that time. This is not the first time this happened, it happens at least 3-5 times monthly. Got so bad, I had to get UPS Choice service where I can tell them to redeliver vs leaving it at some access point center.

FedEx: See UPS.

Which brings on the Amazon delivery service. I am sure that many are in the same boat and most the time, the Amazon packages are returned for the above reasons. Sometimes a re-delivery is attempted after Amazon re-sends it back, but I am sure many times people just go, fuck it, it was an impulse buy (80% of all Amazon purchases), I don't need it that bad.

Enter their pilot thinking? Makes a lot of sense to me.

Report: Amazon Piloting New Delivery Service To Reduce Reliance On UPS, FedEx

Allene likes this.
  2. Arc

Arc Full Member

I buy almost everything from Amazon, (124 orders in the past 33 months), so I understand your frustration. Fortunately, for me because of a variety of reasons I have few problems.

ethics likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've got the opposite problem. I'm out in the country. You can't even see my house from the secondary road I live on. I'm being driven crazy with "needs signature" packages.

I sure hope that if Amazon starts delivering here, it won't be via a self-driven truck.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

237 orders from Amazon sinde 2015. Have not missed first order. Don't remember when but a while back they switched from UPS to USPS. When I know I have a package coming I meet the mail lady out by the mailbox. Last year was the first year I gave a Christmas gift to the mail lady, $100. Once when I met her at the mail box and she did not have my package she back tracked her route to where she had mistakenly left it. She will get another gift this year.

ethics and Allene like this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Your mail lady is a real gem. We pick up our mail at a tiny little village post office that's open for only part of each day. Our postmistress takes care of our hens and waters our garden while we are gone in the summer. Amazon has shipped my packages via UPS to the USPS lately.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't see Amazon being any better after the initial newness wears off. You still have the human factor with drivers trying to get through their route in a minimum amount of time.

Walmart is also getting into the delivery business. They're testing it in a couple of markets and I foresee them expanding it after the end of the year. The problem with Walmart's vision is they're counting on employees to make deliveries on their way home after work in their own vehicles.

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

Where I live Amazon uses USPS, UPS, Amazon subcontractor delivery service, and they used to also use FedEx--not sure if they still do or not but I think they do. In many cases, they combine UPS and I think FedEx with USPS. The delivery starts with UPS/FedEx and when it gets to Los Angeles it is transferred to USPS for the final leg.

The other day while on a bike ride I stopped about 15 miles out in Santa Monic to drink some water and suck down an energy gel pack. I saw one of the Amazon subcontractors do a commendable job. There was a locked wooden gate to a four-plex or similar type building. The delivery guy kept ringing the bell of the addressee who did not answer. Finally, the delivery person with a lot of effort reached over the gate to get the inside latch to open the gate. He then delivered the package.

8. ethics

I think this is more of a urban vs rural living. Human beings are a bit better in rural areas, at least anecdotally.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Funny that I don't consider myself in a rural area. County is a quarter million but I guess next to the bigger cities it is rural. After spending a few days in the Miami area I realize how lucky I am to live in an area where you can drive without a stoplight at every corner and wall to wall cities.

10. ethics

Me going home taking this picture a few hours ago. And this is a rare occasion where I am not a sardine in a can with the others. Now you tell me whether you are urban or rural? ;)

IMG_0045.jpg

Susan Addams and Allene like this.
  11. Arc

Arc Full Member

I and all of the rest of us here at GA love you as a long and dear loyal friend. You have our full support in all your worldly endeavors. Regarding being a City of New York resident, however, you don't get any slack.

Heck if NYC wasn't so "challenging" the NJ Devils wouldn't be so popular. ;)

By the way, in the picture, I like your glasses and gray/blond goatee.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Allene and ethics like this.
  12. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

Don't have a problem with UPS in Memphis. Just because Fred lives here and UPS knows Fred'll take up any slack they make... :)

13. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Yep, I found the right place, the right forum! I too am an Amazon Prime addict! I generally average about 4 deliveries a week. Some weeks I don't even have time to unpack everything, like two pairs of shoes I see across the room, out of the outer box, inner boxes still unopened. Free return if they don't fit. Beat that with a stick! :)

Over the last few years I've been Prime I've missed only two packages. I live in a nice area and my front door is somewhat isolated, just the right amount that they can tuck the packages sort of out of sight from the street. Amazon custo service gave me a bit of flack but eventually made good on the two missing packages, sending replacements. They were cheap stuff, one was a charge cord for iPhone/iPad. I forgot the other.

I once received an order I hadn't replaced. I was almost ready to open it when I noticed the numbers were right but the street name was wrong! I drove it over to the same address on the next street and put it on their door step.

With all the stuff I order 99% of it is no problem!

14. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

With all of the "porch pirates" I'm looking at something to thwart them. Something like this.

15. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Luckily, I live very close to an Amazon locker.

16. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Luckily, I live in such a low crime area (elite neighborhood) that the most major crime I see is people letting their dogs poop on your lawn.

I've lost two cheap items in the last perhaps 4 years, and the chance of delivered to the wrong address is just as likely as them being stolen. Amazon made good with only a small serving of PITA. To put that in perspective I order perhaps 400+ items per year. I have 4 deliveries coming in just today! I've had 30+ deliveries in the last month.

Oh and I'm buying Amazon! AMZN that is! :) They're so friggin' smart that I'm catching a ride to the top with them. I'm going in at about 5% of my liquid net worth. Might have some AAPL pie for dessert. ;)