1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Announces Kindle

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Nov 20, 2007.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Oh, I don't think it's preferable. I just don't think it really matters. At least not as much as people who have never tried it think it does. I've heard over and over again "Oh, I could never read from such a small screen." But only form people who've never tried it. Anyone who has tried it says "you know, it's really not a big deal."

And I think (Ann mentions this, too) that the brightness and sharpness of the iPhone screen is actually more pleasant to read than the slightly grey and matte appearance of the Kindle.

But you're probably right that this is more personal preference than anything else.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Uhm, I've tried it, I don't like it. :)

3. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Ah, what do you know! :)

And I should probably shut up, because although I've held a Kindle and read a few pages, I haven't really given it a fair test or evaluation, myself.

But will I shut up? What do you think? ;)

4. ethics

5. Greg

Greg Full Member

That you selling it? Pretty good rep! Can't get better than 100%. I'm at 100% too but haven't bought/sold much. I expect to do more of both soon.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Leon, have you tried the Kindle app for your iPhone? Assuming you still have your iPHone ...

7. ethics

Yep, not crazy about that either. I am not big on reading on the phone anyway.

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

That Kindle (or iPhone with Kindle app) would be pretty handy for carrying around references.

9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Nice update for kindle: Amazon Improves Kindle Battery Life and Adds PDF Reader

[bl]Just in time to remind holiday shoppers, Amazon has announced an 85% battery life increase as well as a native PDF reader application for the Kindle digital book reader. Whereas the previous battery life topped out at about four days with wireless access turned on, the updated Kindle will run for seven days without needing to be charged.[/bl]

10. ethics

Battery life was never an issue. PDF is a nice thing. Now people will be able to bittorrent books in PDF form. ;)

11. ethics

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Got one for Christmas (Kindle 2). Set it up and purchased Super-Freakonomics on it. Though haven't read it yet as I also got the real (paper) version of Plouffe's Audacity to Win I'm working through. Initial impression is that I have to side with Leon on the screen size (and other) ergonomic issues. I've briefly played with a Kindle 1 and the 2 is aesthetically quite an improvement. There is something about the screen and the way it balances in your hand that's just really comforting. The thing is, I usually read fast, the small screen of the iTouch cramps my style. It simply "feels" better than the iTouch or a real book.

13. Techie2000

Okay after looking at this thing side-by-side with nook and sony reader it wins on screen quality hands down. nook is okay but sony ereader doesn't look fun to read on to me. As far as the Kindle itself? I love it. I really do. I didn't expect to love it that much, but it's small and easy to carry around. It's great to not have to worry about damaging book pages or to have to hold the thing all the time so it stays open. The screen reads as well as a regular book does to me, if not better. I like the snazzy way pictures of authors show up when I turn it off. The fact books are cheaper on it and available instantly will most certainly up my book consumption. Taking notes and highlighting with it is neat.

The only criticism is the keyboard is a bit small, not conducive for quick thumb typing for my smaller hands. Improving the PDF reader would be nice. I think it'd be okay if I had the DX but a lot of 8.5x11 are designed with type a bit smaller than is comfortable on the regular Kindle (though its perfectly legible).

14. Techie2000

Okay after using this for over a month I have to say that I still love it. I'm reading way more now. However the caveat is this is good for one thing only: reading books. It doesn't really give the best magazine/newspaper experience. I dislike having to zoom in on the graphs/pictures and quite frankly I just prefer scanning the headlines in my RSS reader on my computer and cherry picking what I read. Can't say enough about how great the annotating and instant dictionary look-up feature is. I completely understand why Amazon owns 80%-90% of the eBook market now.

At the current price point, the Kindle is a great gift to get for a voracious reader. I probably wouldn't consider buying one for myself unless it got down to $150 or so. I don't think iPad puts this in danger at all, it's not priced to compete.

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

No, but the iPad isn't just an ebook and does a lot more than the Kindle. You'd never need to own both. :)

16. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Unless you want to listen to music while you read. :)