1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Announces Kindle

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Nov 20, 2007.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I do hope so! That would make me extremely excited! :)
  2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Yep...confirmed today that they will be offering for the iPhone.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

We knew that yesterday, didn't we?
  4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

It was rumored, but not confirmed.
  5. joseftu

Lots of good first-hand comments (mostly about Kindle 1) in the comments on this post at Volokh.
  6. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

And now the Author's Guild is claiming copyright infringement on the Kindle 2, saying that Amazon didn't pay for audio rights, so the test-to-speech system is violating authors' rights.

Are they going to go after every library that has a children's story-time?

The EFF disagrees.
    Yes, I know the AG wants licensing fees for the $1B audiobook market, but do you really want to piss off the 800-lb gorilla?
  7. ethics

#@(*@ petty little asses.
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Interesting theory... It will be amusing if this becomes a lawsuit. :)
  9. ethics

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

Amazon's Kindle library is now available on the iPhone and iPod Touch. Brilliant move I think.
  11. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I like this con:

12. ethics

Well, I broke down and ordered mine. Didn't want the DX, too big and too heavy for my use. This should be more than enough for what I want--and the big seller for me--with my increased book reading, is search and clipboard... so I can start sharing some passages with the rest of you. :)
  13. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Just remember not to use it when you take the bike to work instead of the subway. :p
  14. ethics

15. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My sister, a retired high school lit teacher and part time college instructor, told me last night she is looking at the Kindle. My brother in law also said he was considering an iPhone. I told them a trade off was perfect for them. Now neither is speaking to me.
  16. joseftu

So that would be a win-win!

My colleague Ann just published this article in the Chronicle, about her experience with Dickens' Little Dorritt in four different media: Penguin paperback, Kindle, eReader on the iPhone, and audiobook (also on the iPhone).

Her prediction--"the iPhone is a Kindle killer."
  17. ethics

Not a bad review but not a great one as she missed some major differences between kindle and iPhone.

For one, what good does highlighting on iPhone if you can't export the text? Fir years I've been carrying a notepad and a pen and writing notes. I would then get home and transfer the notes on to the computer--most notably Google Notebook. I do alot of that and one of the biggest incentives in reading a nonfiction. Of corse, I don't do that with fiction books in which I read purely for entertainment purpose. So Kindle not only highlights but exports your notes to a special place in amazon acct fully annointed with page numbers,etc... Footnote ready. I've not seen anything remotely close in iPhone.

Second comparison that she missed is screen size. Yes iPhone is more portable but that comes with a liability. Dictionary? Not sure if either book ereaders on iPhone have that. Now that MAY change with os3 on iPhone but the review was about today so definitely some misses.

Now don't get me wrong, her writing was excellent and I still value an opinion like that. Unfortunately in order for that review to hold more value she had to address all facets and to me it was a review on what was important to HER in a book reader-- and that's fine.

Personally, I will now have both gadgets and if one competes with the other that just means I have more options. :)
  18. joseftu

I think she did mention it, but it wasn't really discussed in much detail. Her point was that screen size does not matter (I feel the same). For the most part, only people who have never really read on the small screen mention screen size. Once you try it, you find that it's not a real objection at all. The small screen size doesn't make any difference to the reading experience.
    Stanza already includes a (free) dictionary right now. You can't use it without internet access, though.

Yes--it was personal essay, and meant to be a bit funny--not a serious review. She's of a generation that really doesn't try new tech things too much, and that's the generation that the Kindle is really made for (Ann is different. She always wants to try the newest tech trick or gadget).

Now, yours is the (comparative) review I'm waiting for!
  19. mikeky

mikeky Member

Actually I think the smaller screen size can be better for some, including me, that tend to digest writing in discrete sections; the smaller amount on the page makes that go faster.
  20. ethics

I am going to disagree. While a small screen is better than nothing, it's not preferable to a bigger screen like the Kindle 2 (DX I think is too big).

This really comes down to personal preference as there is no right or wrong or better or worse. Just whatever is better for people.

Will do an honest assessment.