1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Announces Kindle

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Techie2000, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FI73MA/">This thing</a> looks pretty amazing. However at $399 I'm going to take a pass. Bring it down to $200 or $150 and I'd be game. The nice advantage, is that books are cheaper on Kindle than the physical copies, and it is backed by Amazon. This may very well do for books what iPod and Apple did for music.

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

The thing is that for that same price, I can already read ebooks on my iPhone, which is also a phone and an iPod and a PDA and so forth. True, I had to hack it, but that's now super easy to do, and in February it won't even be necessary any more.

Why should I spend 400 bucks on a device that only does one thing, when I can spend that same money and get a device which does so much more?

It's also bigger--too big to fit in a pocket.

I think that single-purpose devices just aren't going to cut it--unless they're really cheap--like under $100. Or free. The previous attempt at a dedicated ebook reader ended up just about that way--they give you the device almost free, and you subscribe to buy the books with a monthly fee. Even that didn't work, though.

Still...my typical gadget-lust kicks in, and I admit that I want one! :)

3. mikeky

mikeky Member

I agree with you. I think there's also the problem with just not being able to flip quicky back and forth to find something.

4. joseftu

Oh, that's no problem--ebooks actually make that much quicker. Not only can you scroll by dragging a finger, or tapping, you can even search for text--that's one area where ebooks definitely have the advantage over paper and ink.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't know what compelled Amazon to do this.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

They want to sell the sizzle without the steak. Look at the prices. From the short sample I took the prices are practically the same as physical books. The cost (outside of copyright reimbursement) is practically zip. Why = money, = profit.

Shit, I was going to post this topic this morning. Damned Techie beat me to it. :)

7. ethics

Well, aren't we wrong? The thing is sold out!

8. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

It's a really good device from all I've heard, I'd like to wait until they have a color screen which Bezos says they are working on.

He's the deal, and why this is good if they can deliver on this promise - you get free wireless internet, but the real kicker is that they have 90,000 titles ready, and Bezos says he is aiming at getting every title ever printed available, regardless of how long it's been out of print. That alone, if they can pull it off, will win me over. There are hundreds of Sci-Fi and Fantasy books I remember reading when I was younger, that I would like to read again, but they are not available.

9. joseftu

It's not really free wireless internet, is it? You don't get the whole web, do you?
    That's an amazing idea--fictionwise (my favorite ebook store) has nothing like that many.

But, really, Bezos has to see that he has to make the ebooks available multi-format. If they're only readable on the kindle, he's cheating himself out of the other markets he could so easily snatch away from ereader.com (people who read on other devices).

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

No, it's not free Internet at all. They deliver the books via the Internet. The only surfing you get is access to Wikipedia (and a limited selection, see below). Now that's pretty damned good, but they don't give you access to the whole Internet. Perhaps there is or will be a subscription plan for full Internet.

Another good feature is that you can put YOUR OWN documents on it. I think you use USB or you can email it to your Kindle. I don't know if the email is free or some charge per document. USB would get around that.

You get access to NYT, WSJ and various other newspapers and blogs. Again I don't know if it's free but it appears so.

It's got a built in dictionary.

You can read this link and decide for yourself. I'm not sufficiently interested to read the whole thing.

The real killer for me is the $9.99 book price. I'd love to pay $9.99 for a physical book, often pay $30-$40 or more, but an electronic copy isn't worth it to me.

I wonder if you can transfer the documents to your PC to back them up there, or to use them there.

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The wireless is just designed to deliver content, a book takes typically less than 20 seconds to download, and you don't need a computer with usb or wifi to do it. Magazines, Newpapers and blogs (the blogs are free, others you pay a subscription to) can be downloaded in addition to the books, which by the way start at only 99 cents a piece. Only new releases and best sellers are at $10. Pretty good price considering it's subsidizing the delivery system. Other document formats can be converted free and loaded as well.

Seems eoungh folks think it a good idea to seel it out, so maybe it'll have some staying power and be improved going forward.

Maybe they can sell the idea to Apple, slap an "Ibook" label on it and then it'll be hailed as the most important development in the written word since Moses brought down the Ten Commandmants. :)

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Seel it out???

Seel: –verb (used with object)
    1. Falconry. to sew shut (the eyes of a falcon) during parts of its training.
    2. Archaic.
    a. to close (the eyes).
    b. to blind.

I don't get it.

As far as Apple, Apple is a competitor. Not exactly one for one, but Amazon is trying to get into selling some products that Apple might sell, but beat them into the market, as they did here.

Only time will tell.

Oh, I get it now. :) Mind moving faster than fingers. :)

13. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

747 roars overhead.

14. ethics

I had to read about it a little more and while it's not perfect, I can definitely see how others may buy it out.

15. ethics

And here's the crazy part. I just bought it.

Why? Too many reasons to list but what made me a believer is actually seeing one and reading off one. I don't think anyone realizes how it looks. It's not anything you've ever seen digitally and for me I WANTED to read more off Kindle than a book.

I will write a review once I get it and get to use it a little.

16. joseftu

Look forward to hearing about it! For me it won't work, I'm pretty sure, because the killer features I want in a reader (and already have on the iPhone and before that the Treo) just aren't there. Fits in a pocket, read with one hand, and read in the dark. If it can't do those, it's going to be hard to sell me. But I sure would like to try it in my own hands, anyway!

17. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

:eek:

Wow, let me know. I like physical books for a lot of reasons, but if it turns out to be good, I might spring for it myself. Is there still a waiting list?

18. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

You're so friggin weak. :lol:

19. ethics

Nope, not any more.

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

How does it look? I'm intrigued...