1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost everyone knows that we're about to go to war with Iraq, but where is it?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

MSNBC Reports on a National Geographic survey. THE SOCIETY survey found that only about one in seven 13 percent of Americans ages 18 to 24 could find Iraq. The score was the same for Iran, an Iraqi neighbor. I find it disturbing that people would support taking out countries that they can't find on a map, and even more disturbing that they do not know where the United States is on the map...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sad, no?

Did YOU know where it is? ;)

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I don't know why this is such a big deal. Who cares where it is as long as as it's not near me when we blast it.

4. Techie2000

Actually yes, I was able to find Iraq on the unlabeled map, along with Croatia, and many other countries...

*Mumbles something about too much Geography work from Social Studies teacher*

5. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Hmm. I have a picture somewhere in the chaotic mass of crap that comprises my image collection of the "American perspective" of the world...

*starts digging*

6. Techie2000

One of these days you should learn how to organize it into directories...;)

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I can google it and then blast it off the map! ;)

8. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Techie,

"a National Geographic survey. THE SOCIETY survey found that only about one in seven 13 percent of Americans ages 18 to 24 could find Iraq. The score was the same for Iran, an Iraqi neighbor."

Sounds like the standard of American education is on the up and up.

John.

9. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

I betcha that same 13% are the ones that vote regularly.

10. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

No, it's that American public schools are more into teaching bullshit "acceptance" classes... Liberal views of everything and hatred of the American government than they are actual academic courses.

The whole public school system and University curriculum has gone straight to Hell with shit like that.

I'm with ethics on this one...

I don't give a rat's ass where it is as long as we topple it... unless they wanna change the criteria for joining the Army and letting a 37 year old back in. :)

<b><i>"BOOM... BOOM... Ready or not... here we come!!!!"</b></i>

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Haywire,

"No, it's that American public schools are more into teaching bullshit "acceptance" classes... Liberal views of everything and hatred of the American government than they are actual academic courses."

Reminds me of the Australian 'Equality of Outcomes' crap we have to put up with.

We lower the standard to total incompetance and think we/they are succeeding. Now our University Entance standard can be achieved by ANYBODY!

John.

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Good to know...I'll get my master's and PhD in Oz!

SM

13. Techie2000

Liberals don't hate America, America hates liberals...:(

14. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

That's exactly the way it is in this country. Instead of making people achieve, we stupify the educational system to make "them" feel like they acomplished something. People just don't get that it's killing this country. Of course, we surely wouldn't want to harm the fragile egos of the underachievers... even though most of them just don't <b>want</b> to learn. :rolleyes:

It's sad... very, very sad.
    That's because Liberals are destroying it.

15. ethics

It's not Americans, it's the Youth.

I present to you, the very first post in <a href="http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3937">Exhibit A</a>

16. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Geography is not as easy as you think.
    Even for those of us old-timers who actually took classes in this subject in elementary school.

Don't believe me?

Test yourself...

http://www.lizardpoint.com/fun/geoquiz/[/URL]

17. Techie2000

Do you honestly think that the reason that the people don't vote is because of the liberals? If you do you are mistaken. I asked many people who were not interested in politics or voting why not and and you know what they told me? Every one of them had a response along the lines of "Because everyone who is running is a dickhead." This leads me to believe that the future of politics once my generation grows up will not be about the two party system, but about grass roots. Independants who can better relate to the people will probably be the ones who will get into office. The other problem in this day is that we have no one to rally interest in politics. A generation ago people had President John F. Kennedy who inspired the people and let them believe that they could change the world. Today we have not had any big war or hardship, and the election fiasco no doubt caused many people to lose faith in our system. Also there is little that is making it seem real to the people. Sure we had September 11th, but still not a long lasting reminder for many of the people that are far away. No one in my generation has not had to worry about gas rationing. The problems have yet to become "real" for many of these people. And that is what I think is our problem...

18. ethics

A sum up most concise and to the point. THIS, ladies and gentleman, is what IS wrong with this country.

I really need to find that article on what to do if you want to go in to politics. I read the first paragraph and was like, OMG (Oh My God -- for Ditch :)) I can't believe you have to be such a skank.

19. jamming

jamming Banned

All right! Who moved Iraq? Did anyone see who had it last? Steve did you take it? Ethics is it on the top of your fridge again like after the last party you had? Whoever has Iraq, put it back where it was. ;)

As to your generation thinking everyone running is a "dickhead", thats all they will ever be until you and yours get involved in changing it.
    "The government is us; we are the government, you and I. " Theodore Roosevelt.

I have a challenge for you Techie2000, when was the following quote made and by who.
    The government of the United States at present is a foster-child of the special interests. It is not allowed to have a voice of its own. It is told at every move, Dont do that, You will interfere with our prosperity.

20. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

BUt it is true - everyone running is a dickhead.

Look at last presidential election. The two main guys running - Al "I invented the internet" Gore, and George "Dubya" Bush. The only other candidate that was actually worth my vote was Ralph Nader - which I voted for.

Surprisingly, he did get 2% of the total votes, so I guess that's a good thing. Maybe there is hope for the green party after all.

In order to be a politician and get elected you need to have money - only major dickheads have the testicular fortitude to make that kind of cash. You need to be a REAL dickhead in order to be ruthless and cut-throat in the business world. Nice guys don't normally become millionaires.