1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alexa works better when you yell

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Susan Addams, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

“Alexa, turn on bedroom lamp.”

Alexa: “I’m sorry, I don’t know that.”

Me, shrieking: “Alexa, turn on bedroom lamp!!!!!”

Alexa: “Okay.”

What I really want to say is Alexa turn on the goddamn fucking bedroom lamp! :)

Except I know what the answer would be to that!

Somebody needs to write a skill so that Alexa can understand when you’re cursing at it!

“Alexa open the fucking pod bay door!“

2. Susan Addams

Let’s define that word that I used above. It means that I have a screwdriver and I can disassemble you if you don’t follow my instructions! LOL

“Fucking” should be a keyword that means turn down acceptance criteria until you find a valid instruction you can execute, then do it! And the reply should be, “Yes, ma’am!”

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Screwdriver? Hell, use a ball-peen hammer! Or, as it's called in the IT industry, "Percussive maintenance tool."

Susan Addams likes this.
  4. Susan Addams

Thank you Mark! Actually I have an entire series of Percussive Maintenance System (PMS) tools. And one of these days I'm going to smack some sense into Alexa. If Alexa annoys me on the right day her new name is going to be "plastic sawdust." ;)

I've even had one Alexa say, "I don't understand that," and another one simultaneously say, "Okay."

That's probably why Amazon can't keep it up, or at least not long enough for this woman to finish. AMZN has been over $1,600 twice in the last two days but always loses it's position by the closing bell. I have mixed emotions about where I want and that's complicated by the fact that my financial institution hasn't transferred in the cash I requested on Friday, so I'm in the position that if there is an opening I will not be able to address necessary transactions. I hope my money shows up in a few hours.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

One can always buy the Silver Version of Echo Alexa. It solves or eliminates a lot of problems the regular model has.

Susan Addams likes this.
  6. Susan Addams

That's pretty funny! Seriously I don't know why Alexa is more likely to work when I yell at it.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My son sent me that link to the video after I admitted I had trouble because I kept calling it Alexus.

8. Susan Addams

I think it's interesting that Amazon strictly limits your choices to just 4 names. They certainly figured out that many people would change the keyword to "shit for brains" or "fucktard."

I would surely change my keyword to, "Hey bitch!" :)