1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alaskan Voters to decide whether to give Tax Incentives to OIL

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

To oil companies.

Of course, there's a blue and red wedge. Democrats are against it, Republicans are for it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/politics/sarah-palins-attack-on-sean-parnells-oil-plan-creates-odd-wedge-for-alaskan-voters.html?ref=todayspaper

Here's where I get lost though.

Critics of the measure say it excessively benefits oil interests, and are seeking to reinstate a previous tax package known as ACES, or Alaska’s Clear and Equitable Share, signed into law in 2007 as a hallmark achievement of Gov. Sarah Palin.

With me? Palin's hallmark achievement was ACES, which is AGAINST tax incentives. So who's side is she on today as she was back then? Yep, the most Liberal of Democrats.

“For years outside Big Oil tried to tell us, ‘Hush now, little Alaskans, just trust us to do right by you,’ ” Ms. Palin wrote on her Facebook page, which has 4.3 million “likes,” about six times the population of Alaska. “We won’t be suckered again by multimillion-dollar P.R. campaigns and crony capitalists wanting us to fall for scaremongering.”

So much for Palin being logical. And yes, I am biased here as I always believe that tax incentives for a DYING state like Alaska is a huge incentive for jobs.