1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Jazeera TV to hit U.S. Market

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Al Jazeera is planning an English language website and to air English language broadcasts in the U.S. in early 2003.
    Story Here.

2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Cool! Now I can keep track of their stories without having to work through a translator.

3. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

People will still say FOX is run by Satan.

I think it's actual a good idea if we get the code book.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Great!

More propaganda on the airwaves.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

FYI It's already been available on DirecTV, just not in English...

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

It's available on Dish (Echostar) as well, also not in English.

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I just received a letter from my cable company stating that in January my cable bill will increase from $38.11 to $40.05. I get six new channels... fortunately Al Jazeera is not one of them.

I may cancel cable and get a pizza dish anyway though.

8. Coot

Frank, I quit the bastards when scumcast was running the show here in Simi. I went dishnetwork and haven't looked back.

As to Al Jazeera, I think it's going to be an important addition. It would be nice to know first hand what they're saying (provided the English version matches the Arabic).

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I want to go satellite but they don't carry local channels so if I go satellite I will not have the three major networks. I might consider it but Mrs Shiny will not do away with ABC, CBS, NBC.

10. Coot

We get the local channels here. I thought it was a new federal law...about a year ago that you were supposed to have them available. It might be a state statute, but I don't think so.

11. ShinyTop

The satellite dealers have most major networks. But it would be impossbile for them to have channels for all local stations. And the laws read if you do not have your local channels available you can ask the local channels for permission to receive the networks out of NY or someplace. Not surprisingly the local channels do not give that permission so we stay on cable.

12. Coot

Odd...we get the networks out of both NY and LA here as well as all but one local channel. We even get most of the UHF stations as well.

13. ShinyTop

Try Dishnetwork.com and punch in Pensacola, FL to see if local channels are available. Please convince them and me I am wrong.

14. Coot

15. ShinyTop

I did and it said I could get two national network channels but no local channels. Can you believe they will not even allow all three of the traditional networks?

Direct TV does not even provide that choice. They do, however, give you information on choosing an antenna to receive local channels on.

The local cable company, Cox, offers good channels on their digital offerings. You pay more for digital so you would think that is because they have to give you a box, right. No, you pay more for digital and then you pay for the digital box. So the same channels we get now would be 20 more if we went digital. If we wanted to add some channels (why else go digital) like game network and soapnet for my wife and the Discovery Wings and technet for met we would end up doubling our cable bill and that does not include any premium movie channels. The cable companies have bought and sold every local politician in America. They have repeatedly made promises at license consideration time about no increases and more programming and they have broken every promise made.

16. Coot

Man, that sucks mightily, and I know the frustration. I had to put an antenna in the attic until they became available here....and your problems with cable is exactly why I said screw 'em.

17. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Thanks for telling it like it is and for educating those who are not familiar with the <i>whole</i> profile and history of Al Jazeera.

The article provided by Coot that describes Al Jazeera is unusual. It is very accurate and informative in what it says but is very misleading and in a sense inaccurate by what it does not say regarding "the Al Jazeera" past history and actions.

People should do a Google search and read more about it as well as the little dispute they and CNN had over something CNN broadcast.

18. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Al Jazeera seems to be roundly cursed by just about everyone... but they're still in business.

Here's a large collection of articles and reports from news services around the world on and about A. J. It includes articles on the CNN arguments, as well as little pieces on things like A.J. being banned from Bahrain because it was considered to be pro-Israeli!
    http://www.cursor.org/aljazeera.htm

One thing stands out more than any other, AJ is <b>really</b> disliked by the ruling governments/families of many middle-eastern countries, because they say things these rulers don't want broadcast.

Heros or villians? Probably depends on where you live.

19. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Your insightful and accurate observation touches indirectly on a subject not generally known by the U.S. public because it is not reported on by the press.

The rulers of the Islamic countries generally feel a lot different about many major things such as Saddam Hussein than do the people they rule. Athough that is true about many other governments in general and to various degrees it is very pronounced in the ME and the surrounding regions.

Consequently, that is why publicly we get mixed messages from leaders of the Arab and Islamic ME regarding issues such as Saddam. The leaders want him out but the people do not. The leaders publicly speak accordingly.

Al Jazeera definitley does not report its stories with a slant for the government leaders' point of view.

20. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Our cable bill is already ~$42 for the extended package (the one above basic, but before Digital).