1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Gore Invents the Internet, And then Blames it for Lower Standards

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 28, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In an <a href="http://www2.observer.com/observer/pages/frontpage1.asp">interview with the New York Observer</a>, Al Gore blames evolving technologies and market forces for lowering the standards of objectivity in the U.S. press.

'The introduction of cable-television news and Internet news made news a commodity, available from an unlimited number of sellers at a steadily decreasing cost, so the established news organizations became the high-cost producers of a low-cost commodity,' said Gore. 'They're selling a hybrid product now that's news plus news-helper; whether it's entertainment or attitude or news that's marbled with opinion, it's different. Now, especially in the cable-TV market, it has become good economics once again to go back to a party-oriented approach to attract a hard-core following that appreciates the predictability of a right-wing point of view, but then to make aggressive and constant efforts to deny that's what they're doing in order to avoid offending the broader audience that mass advertisers want.'

Gore cites Fox News, The Washington Times, and Rush Limbaugh as the manifestations of this phenomenon and adds that 'Most of the media [has] been slow to recognize the pervasive impact of this fifth column in their ranks - -that is, day after day, injecting the daily Republican talking points into the definition of what's objective as stated by the news media as a whole.'

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

As usual with Al Gore he has a big mouth regarding right wing excesses but somehow has a blind eye where left wing excesses are concerned. We dodged a bad, bad bullet in 2000, IMHO. Of course your mileage may vary, my wife claims I never had a humble opinion. And that's how I recognize it in good ol' Al.:)

3. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

If we taped all of Al Gore speeches and pontificating and played it on loudspeakers in Iraq the country would be deserted.

Kinda like playing Classical music to discourage teen gatherings at the Mall and Libraries here.

4. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I don't see where Al is different than any of the other politicians. Every one of them has a blind eye to one thing or another.

5. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Gore is doing the same as all other Democrats are at this point...

Venting frustrations over the recent elections out on Conservative people/news agencies. They're pissed.

And rightfully so. I would be too if I were in their penny loafers. :_

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Al Gore is a whining cry baby. So what is his point? Republicans shouldn't be allowed to speak about issues in the news? Why isn't he bitching about the dems who do the same damned thing? So do we put Al Gore in charge of censoring the news stations?

Al is just pissed because he and his party are losing credibility when they shoot off their mouths on TV and act like most people agree with their opinions. People like him speak as though there are no opposing views to their opinions.

Boo hoo. The dems aren't in control of Congress. Boo hoo, something must be wrong and needs fixed. The republicans are brainwashing people on TV. OMG, I think I am going to throw up my turkey dinner and blame it on the democrats!

How did this guy get so many votes for President?

7. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

The dems do more than that, actually. When you talk about degradation of values, we needn't look very far than the democratic party. After all, a party that can screw interns, sell out to the Chinese and turn a memorial service into a political rally really needs to rethink what it stands for.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

They know what they stand for, they just can't come out and say it in plain English without alienating more of the country.

9. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

What a great idea -- the best political suggestion I've seen on the forum.

10. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Thank God. Things are really looking up, eh? :_

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

11. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    Mr Gore demonstrates with clarity the difference between outstanding native ability and disciplined application thereof.

All good wishes,
    Yazdzik

12. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

There's no "T" in naive. ;)

13. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

The Democratic Party Self-Destruct continues...

...tick...tick...tick...tick...