1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ah, That Caring, Thoughtful PRC Government...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Some signs they still have miles to go and years to grow before they can realize their "manifest destiny."

Read all about it at China Expels Prominent Dissident

Heaven forbid he should be allowed to remain in his homeland where he might, oh heaven forbid, get the ball rolling with regards to democracy.

SM

2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

Well, they also have to deal with corruption at the same time.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This is an improvement, though. Not too long ago I think he would simply have disappeared -- into a reeducation camp or a grave.

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

China is going to sit down at the table now. I am confused about the governments stance. I do work with people that are over there all the time these days and all they can say is it one big wall of construction. New streets everywhere.
    All this money will take its toll.

5. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

There is new construction everywhere - but I think it's all overbuilding and, like the Japanese in the 1980's and 1990's, the real estate market will come crashing down.

6. Sierra Mike

Zed, may I please direct you here:

China's New Rich

SM

7. Sierra Mike

No way, Stanley. China's real estate is substantially larger than Japan's; several thousand square miles larger than the US, as a matter of fact. Western China is full of building opportunities, and it's apparently the will of the government to push people out into the west and out of the Chinese East Coast.

By the time China overbuilds, you and I will have been dead for a century.

SM