1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aging v death: Sportswriter blogs his suicide at age 60.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Arc, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

This senior’s thoughts on life represent that of a lot seniors. More than most would imagine. At least more than society would like to talk about. The key difference is that most of those that think similarly to him don’t kill themselves. But you know, that’s not really the point is it?

The whole story:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/23/tech/web/martin-manley-suicide-website/index.html?hpt=us_c1

ethics likes this.
  2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I strongly support anybody's right to choose the time and method, within limits, of their death. I may not agree with a particular person's reasons but you cannot agree with the right and then quibble about reasons. You cannot quibble about what if they could fix the depression, one person's fix is another person's hell on earth such as living in a fog.

I think it obvious that close family and loved ones make one look forward rather than choose to end it. Manley did not have that.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Obviously, this man had a right to make his own decision, but I suspect he was a lot more depressed than he was letting on.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I skimmed the original site before Yahoo took it down. It was interesting reading. I'm not sure where I come in on this. On the one hand, certainly anyone should be allowed to choose when and how they're going to leave this world. But it still comes across as a very narcissistic act when you're apparently otherwise healthy and have lots of things going for you. His reasoning is what I'd expect from someone a lot older, or with more problems.