1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After 54 years, Confederate flag removed from Statehouse

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 10, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'm a bit torn on this issue and tend to look at it more as PC run amok than removing a symbol that denotes a sordid past.

The flag is a historic icon from the past, and as some are clamoring for its removal, I tend to believe it can be used as a reminder of days gone past. Aside from the few idiots who use the symbol to further their racist aims, I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

We now have some liberals pointing at the Confederate battle flag and saying it's racist and completely overlook the actual reasons why the Civil War occurred to begin with.

Yes, slavery was an aspect of it, and one that most associate with the war. But it was more of State rights over Federal authority, which is still an issue with many topics today.

Honestly? It's not a symbol of racism. It is, however, a symbol of what was fought over with slavery being just one part of that issue. And if you really step back and think about it, it's a symbol that should serve as a reminder that the Civil War was one of the bloodiest conflicts ever fought on American soil.

3. ethics

If it was such a relic, why was it put in place just 54 years ago and not before that?
    Symbols evolve like words do. Some words were neutral, some gained notiriety, same with symbols.

Besides, this isn't a ban. It's removing it from government buildings.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Can't find any references on what was flown before 1961.

It originally went up for the Confederate War Centennial in 1961. It remained, most likely as a rebuke for the Civil Rights movement.

But......

South Carolina isn't the only state that uses some form of the Confederate flag. The only reason South Carolina is in the cross hairs is because of that idiot Roof.

5. ethics

Agreed. But I don't think there's a down side of taking that flag down. There should only be one flag flown anyway, the US flag.

6. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Attention will probably shift to Mississippi, which has the Confederate flag as part of its state flag. Some are calling for Mississippi to re-adopt the "Magnolia flag," which was adopted in 1861 and was the official flag until 1865 and the unofficial flag until 1894.

Current Mississippi State Flag:
    Flag_of_Mississippi.svg.png

The Magnolia Flag:
    Flag_of_Mississippi_(1861-1894).svg.png

ethics likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fwiw. If people only knew which is actually the real one and not let emotions rule, but at least we will have World peace now guaranteed now rhis one piece of cloth can't be seen anymore in that one spot.

8. ethics

Good stuff and as the end says, "close enough". And I agree with you, racism will not just fade away because of this. But that Flag, Naval Jack or whatever, needed to come down.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

10. Arc

Arc Full Member

No one alive in the United States has ever had a hand in slavery in this country. No Black American alive today was ever a slave nor was any living relative. Those that defend the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, (falsely labeled as the flag of the Confederate States of America), defend over a perceived offence they did not give against those that were not alive to be offended.

The trashing of the military flag that was never an official flag of the Confederate States of America is a victory for misplaced white guilt, black victimhood, and either complete ignorance of history or a complete dishonest denial for political gain.

Virtually every slave brought to the United States came under the flag of England or the Stars and Strips of the United States of America. No slave came to the United States under the flag of any Confederate Flag or during the existence of the Confederate States of America.

The flag is moved. The mob is appeased.

11. ethics

Agreed there. But the mob is not appeased.

1. There are racists who hid behind it and over time made it their symbol. KKK had a rally yesterday, Confederate Flags all over. I am sure it's not a symbol of hate, but it has evolved in to that by the perps and the victims.
    2. What I am against is attacking private property.