1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Affirmative Action Revisited

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Dec 3, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20021202/ts_nm/court_discrimination_dc_3

By James Vicini

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Supreme Court said on Monday it would decide whether public universities may use a student's race in admission decisions, revisiting the politically charged issue of affirmative action for minorities it last addressed in its landmark "Bakke" ruling 24 years ago.

Taking up an important national issue affecting higher education, the high court agreed to hear two constitutional challenges to affirmative action policies at the University of Michigan's law school and its undergraduate admissions.

Blacks and other minority groups have strongly defended affirmative action as a way to remedy past discrimination and to achieve student diversity while critics have called the programs an unconstitutional form of "reverse discrimination."

"This is a moment of great significance in our nation's history. We stand at the threshold of a decision that will have a profound impact on our nation's higher education system and on our race relations broadly," University of Michigan President Mary Sue Coleman said.

"Now is not the time to turn back the clock. A ruling overturning Bakke could result in the immediate resegregation of our nation's top universities, both public and private," she said in a statement.

In its historic 1978 "Bakke v. Board of Regents" decision, a sharply divided Supreme Court struck down racial quotas in school admissions, but allowed race to be used in deciding which students to accept.

The justices will decide whether racial preferences still may be used or whether they violate the equal protection guarantee in the U.S. Constitution or the federal civil rights laws.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I seldom comment on news topics but in this case I must admit that this revisit by the Supreme Court on an action that was taken 24 years ago has peaked my interest.

Much more is involved than meets the eye. If that decision is overturned, the quality of Education and the practice of passing students who fail to meet the basic requirements of the level they are in may by this action be also revisited. The consequences may be far reaching.

A review of this topic may also spark interest in the Wade vs. Roe down the line.

Affirmative action has in my opinion, helped the minority in this country by forcibly integrating society. Whether it was right or not is irrelevant as it had served it's purpose in that regard. Is it constitutional? I think not.

This is a hot topic almost as hot as the Wade vs Roe.

If the Dems need an issue to separate themselves then I wouldn't be surprised if they jump on this one with both feet.

Opinions please...

2. jamming

jamming Banned

USSC, is going after a Texas Law based upon selective enforcement versus gays. Looks like they are getting down to some brass tacks before some of them may be asking to retire. Either way they have to establish some of these things or at least suggest a direction as the lower courts have been split on these issues, by area and the federal law needs to be one law for all jurisdictions.