1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Issues Emergency Update to Flash

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by SixofNine, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

**sigh**

Flash needs to die. It needs to die now. There's absolutely no reason why sites can't go to HTML5 for video streaming. If YouTube can do it, everyone else can as well. They're just too fucking lazy to make the change.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I stopped using Flash long ago. At first, my favorite greeting card site wouldn't work, but it didn't take them too long to let go of Flash. I don't think there's anything else I can't use without Flash.

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

IMDB supposedly switched to HTML5 for their trailers, and since then, I can't see any of them in Chrome. YouTube runs just fine though.

5. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Their trailers work fine in Chrome for me... it may be an issue with the graphics hardware on your machine. Try turning off "use hardware acceleration when available" in the advanced Chrome settings and see if they now work.

cmhbob likes this.
  6. Biker

I fired up Chromium (not Chrome) and IMDB's site is a mess, with over 50 errors complaining about security on many of Amazon's js modules. I suppose I could test on Winderz the next time I'm in it, but it does appear that there are issues right now. I'll play around with it some more this weekend and see if I can nail down a fix.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

IMDB is one of my most used sites. It is working fine with FireFox. Or are you doing some sort of IT stuff on it that is picking up all that stuff?

8. Biker

This is what the site looks like using Chromium on my machine.

imdb.png

9. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Ugh!

You using Linux?

10. Biker

Of course.

Generally, I use FireFox which doesn't have any issues on the site. It's weird that Chromium does.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ugh! I see what you mean!

12. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Thanks, but no joy.