1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ActiveX Controls

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Oct 29, 2002.

1. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Mikeky got it right. If you really want to tighten your IE settings, here's a summary of mine for IE 5.5 SP2:

Internet Zone - Disabled Except
    -------------------------------
    Allow per-session cookies
    File Download
    Java Permissions - High Safety
    Software Channel Permissions - High Safety
    Submit nonencrypted form data
    Logon - Prompt for user name and password

Trusted Zone - Enabled Except
    -----------------------------
    Disable Download unsigned ActiveX controls
    Disable Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
    Java Permissions - High Safety
    Logon - Automatic logon with current user name and password

Restricted Zone - Disabled Except
    ---------------------------------
    Logon - Anonymous logon

Then getting back to the original question of this thread, use your Restricted Zone settings for Outlook Express.

HTH :)

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    Thanks Mikeky!

You know, I've been using Jason's Script Sentry for quite a while now, but I never knew about Trust Setter! (I guess I need to pay attention more :) ). Very nice little tool! On my home PC I use Proxo so I don't need it there, but this tool will come in handy on my work box.

Thanks!

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Guys, I'm overwhelmed! This is all very useful stuff, particularly Trust Setter and the step-by-step information on how to change the settings.

Right now, I've only had time to download Ad-Aware and it's companion RefUpdate. I still need to read the directions and get them working. That done, I'll download the Trust Setter and fix all my settings. It really is irritating to keep getting prompted for ActiveX settings.

One more question: Are the high security settings described by DSL Dan just for the Internet and Outlook? My Microsoft Word settings are at about medium security and have to stay at that level to enable various macros to do their thing.

Many thanks for everything! You guys are great! Consider me a permanent member of your fan club from now on!

Allene

4. jamming

jamming Banned

I worked with Jason when we were discussing this concept and I heartily recommend him and his website. The product that Jason offers for free is ScriptSentry and it is one tool in my own toolbox that I have used on several computers to inhibit the use of scripting.

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Allene, macros can be dangerous if you open documents from people you don't know. (The bad guys have exploits that can affect every useful tool we have, it seems.) But use reasonable caution and you should be OK with the settings suggested to you.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is to turn off preview mode in Outlook or Outlook Express. This will give you far more security as well...

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Sunriser,

You are correct about macros being dangerous. I don't mess with them in the way you envisioned.

I work from home as a freelance editor. Most of the macros I use are editing add-on programs purchased from a reliable company that specializes in software for editing manuscripts, and the rest are directly provided by the publishers I work with (so I can tag electronic manuscripts before they are fed into a typesetting program).

I will keep in mind the other piece of advice you gave me.

I still need someone to answer my question re whether all the changes I'm about to make (see DSL Dan's message) are going to affect the security settings in my Microsoft Word program. If they do that, I could well end up not being able to use the aforementioned macros.

Thanks!

Allene

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Well, macros are scripts, after all, but I think the settings suggested will work alright for you. What I see here should not affect Word's settings. Give them a try, and if something you need is blocked, you can always easily reverse the changes.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks, Sunrise. I'll see how it works.

Allene

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I just scanned my system with Ad-aware, which found 8 suspicious files. I did a backup and got rid of them. After that I tried to run RefUpdate, just to see how it works. After clicking on Options and specifying the destination directory (where Ad-aware resides), I ran connect and got a message like this:

Connection failed. Socket Error #10061.

At the same time this happened, an icon appeared on the desktop and when I clicked on it, it read "Windows cannot open t his file . . . needs to know what program created it." The file is reftmp295356.tmp

So what do I do now? I can't find the solution in my FAQ or I cannot find it.

Thanks.

Allene

10. tke711

In the RefUpdate program, choose the "wvyvernworks.com" option in the drop down box.

I too was getting the same error as you when using the lavasoft sites for the update, but all is well with using the above site.

I'm attaching a screen shot in case it helps. :)

11. tke711

One more quick thing.

In refupdate, go to Options - Preferences and make sure that you selected your ad-aware folder to store the new files. The default seem to be the refupdate folder which won't do you much good as you will then have to manually add it to the Ad-Aware folder.

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

13. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Nice catch Sunriser! She's right Allene, so please follow her advice on this.

First of all, I'm no expert on this but I fail to see the connection between IE settings and Word performance. Secondly, my recommended settings are <u>very</u> tight so don't panic if the loss of functionality is startling. You can always switch some of them, although I really appreciate the increased security when I'm browsing.

Let us know how things work out.

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Dan,

I'm going to follow Sunriser's advice and yours too, as soon as I get a chance to change the settings. Will let you all know (with more dancing bananas) when the work is done!

Thanks again for your help.

Allene

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

*chuckle* Allene is going to be a geek in no time. ;)

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Me a geek! :nut: Don't hold your breath!

Allene

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

By the way. I just scanned with Adaware with a 2 month old ref file and it cleaned 6 things. I did an update on the sig file and got 15 more crap.

I am still wondering how some of this stuff (like Alexa!!!) gets on my damn pc.

18. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

Usually through downloads, ethics, especially <u>freeware</u>. Ever wonder about the revenue stream to freeware developers? If my memory serves me correctly there was even some controversy a while back about Alexa coming bundled along with IE from M$.

19. Allene

Allene Registered User

I had Alexa too--never heard of the gal before and didn't realize she was so notorious!

On a happy note, Dan, I'll almost done with everything you told me to do--Sunriser also--but I'm stuck on "Allow per-session cookies" in Internet Zone. I haven't been able to find that one.

Thanks for your help.

Allene

20. Allene

Allene Registered User

If you are on the East Coast, you are or should be in bed by now, so this is for tomorrow:

I took tke711's advice and downloaded Trust Setter. Now I've got a bunch of files stored in c:\unzipped. I know I have to install them somewhere else but not sure where. It has been awhile since I last had to do this and I've forgotten how to do it. Also, all my computer books are in storage until we move into our new house.

If you can still stand the sight of me, I could do with a little help here.

BTW, tke, I've got my RefUpdate Preferences set the way you suggested.

Many thanks!

Allene