1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing from

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by mikeky, Jun 17, 2007.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

I think I know the answer to this (no :shake: ), but will ask anyway. Is it possible to access a ip address (SpeedStream DSL modem) directly through a LinkSys router ( I can by-pass the router and connect the modem directly to the computer and it works fine, but would be great if it were possible without doing that.
  2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

set the subnet mask to
  3. mikeky

mikeky Member

In the LinkSys router? I don't have that as an option.
  4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

start/run/cmd/ipconfig find default gateway to router. enter that in address bar. if user and password needed refer to router manual. maybe default default or router router? some of them are preset to those. lan configuration on mine has an input spot for netmask. assuming you didn't know how to access settings if you do please disregard. LOL ;)
  5. mikeky

mikeky Member

I can get to the router setup, it just won't let me select There are about 8 different options from a pull down box, including which is the default, but not

Would changing to really make a difference?
  6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yes, it makes that much of a difference. Honestly? Why do you want to assign that particular IP? This is for a home network, and you shouldn't need that many possible IP addresses.
  7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Mike, what model Linksys is it?
  9. mikeky

mikeky Member

It's a WRT54G. Really I'm clueless (a shock, huh? :) ) when it comes to subnets, IP ranges, etc., so I'm not locked into a particular IP address, those were just the defaults on the router/SpeedStream.
  10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Slightly off-topic here...all apologies, but I would highly recommend changing the firmware on that router to Tomato Firmware. The interface layout is a lot easier to navigate (more logical), there are tons of charts and graphs and monitoring tools, plus the Tomato Firmware is lean and mean. My WRT54G has never performed better. ;)

sorry for the interruption.
    1 person likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Are you using the router as your DHCP server? If not, then setting the IP and subnet would be disabled, I'd think.
  12. Andy

Ok do I have this right?

The ip address is actually your DSL modem?

If so, you might need to change the config of the modem to stop acting like a DHCP router and just act like a pass through modem.
  13. mikeky

mikeky Member

The way it's setup is

computer ( IP, subnet, gateway) to Linksys router ( IP, subnet) to modem (which the manual indicates and I've confirmed has IP IP address).

So when I need to access the modem stats page, I have to connect the computer directly to the modem and change my computer's IP address ( and gateway ( I use an assigned IP address on the computer (XP Pro) because DHCP sometimes requires reboot to work, is easier just to assign IP address.

If I can't select on the LinkSys router, will one of the other subnets work (e.g., work as long as it's not
  14. Andy

Yep, to me and my cobwebbed networking mind, it sounds as if the modem is acting like a router by assigning you a (private) range address. IIRC my DSL modem was more of a bridge between my router and the DSL link.

When connected directly to the modem, is there any options to change it's config to pass through/gateway?
    Or do you at least see it setup as router/DHCP anywhere in there?

Otherwise, I see no way how you would be able to do what you want to do, the "modem" is already subnetting you down in the range the linksys is usually operating in.

If I'm wrong, just slap me upside the head.

15. mikeky

mikeky Member

Like I would know if you were wrong! :banghead: :) I'll check the modem later when I get back to my office, see if it allows different modes.
  16. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Don't know what model Speedstream/Siemens DSL modem you have, but, if it's like mine (4100), you can set the modem to bridged mode and let the router handle the PPPoE duties. Shouldn't have to access the modem at all after that.

EDIT: It's not called "bridged mode." The option is something like "PPPoE is on the computer" or something close to that.
  17. mikeky

mikeky Member

I'll look at the possible modes. Unfortunately, my DSL connection is cycling in and out every few minutes, a major PIA.
  18. mikeky

mikeky Member

Wow, never mess with the subnet unless you know what you're doing. Otherwise you get locked out of your router, modem, etc. When my DSL connection stabilizes, I'll try again.
  19. eakes

eakes Registered User

Here is a way to make this work: Obtain a ethernet switch or hub and connect it between the modem and router (uplink port to modem, regular port to router). Change the router address to, (be sure to turn off the DHCP server in the router if not already done). Change your computer address to with a gateway of Connect the computer to the router and you should be able to work normally.

Now when you want to access the modem menu, plug your computer into an unused port of the switch/hub and enter as the URL in a browser page.

If you do not want to plug and unplug your computer, connect a port of the switch/hub to one of the LAN ports of the router (if the router does not auto-sense connection you will need a crossover cable). In this configuration you can access the router or the modem by entering their IP address in your browser.