1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"AC-130" bombing run.......

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mike, Dec 12, 2002.

1. mike

mike mesmerized

If it is in fact real, well, anyone unsettled by seeing targeting footage (FLIR) and "afghans" being targeted/hit-do not save this clip or view it-if it is still up......

mods, feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum:

http://skynet.bizatchu.com/AC130_GunshipMed.wmv

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Nice 5+ MB Download

3. mike

mike mesmerized

Sorry about the size, did you watch the whole thing?

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Booyah! Reminds me of smacking ants with a hammer ;) It's a damn shame they wouldn't target the mosque, as that's the breeding ground for the cockroaches. Since we can be pretty damn sure the AC-130 wasn't hitting indiscriminite targets, but rather working off of intel, passing up a target rich environment like the mosques just makes no sense.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Yessir I did and that's the FLIR of AC-130U all right, did you keep hearing the loading commands for the 105mm cannon, they also talk about the 40mm in the chatter too.

6. mike

mike mesmerized

Can't tell if that is a mosque, and this short clip doesn't show the whole thing (sortie,engagement, whatever), but I know I'd hit those buildings if the ROE permits, and I don't see why not by this..;)

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Here's a nice picture of it at work.

8. mike

mike mesmerized

wife is asleep right now, I don't need to piss her off......so I emailed this clip to work so I can hear it tomorrow:)

9. claire

claire Registered User

Very impressive

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Very impressive indeed. Wasn't some of that wasteful though? I mean, I counted about 5 bombs when they went after that one guy who ran on the road (later wounded and then cooked).

11. claire

claire Registered User

On this particuliar aspect I agree with Ethics

12. mike

mike mesmerized

Now that I heard the audio, that is a mosque, damn, that would have been a good target.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Damn, some nice footage there.

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but that's just the master FLIR footage; the gunnery crews have their own NVDs they use for targeting.

A lot of 20mm was being dispensed as well on the soft targets; I've seen some much tighter engagements in the past, such as where a Spectre crew pumped an inert 105 round right through the engine compartment of a fast-moving Iraqi vehicle. This one looks a tad sloppy to me, and the aircrew commo kind of reflects that. Then and again, that could be a product of multiple gunnery stations engaging multiple targets.

Just the same, you can see this is one mission where the people were the clear targets, along with the vehicles. Buildings and structures were secondary.

SM

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yah, but Steve, was dropping 5 bombs after ONE person efficient?

15. Sierra Mike

How the hell do I know? These are Air Force guys. I have no idea how Spectre crews interoperate. Personally, I would've hosed the personnel with 20mm, and used the 40mm/105mm on the hard targets. That's what we'd do with our helicopters; go to guns on troops, use rockets if they're heavily concentrated, and use missiles on structures and heavy vehicles.

Most of the rounds you saw were 40 mike-mike. The explosions look much bigger than you might otherwise expect because a FLIR is a super-chilled planar array that's cryogenically suspended, and therefore exceptionally reactive to thermal emissions. 40mm grenades are a dime a dozen; I say lean out of a door with a Mk119 and rock and roll on full auto.

SM

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I may have missed something but I did not see the time for 5 smart bomb designations and five drops. I think the big explosions were 105's form the AC-130 with secondary explosions. I know I heard secondaries hollered several times. Besides, our smallest smart bombs in that small an area would have taken the buildings down at least partially.

17. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Sorry, thought I could hit the stop and spell check but got dual post.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

A disclaimer: I haven't read all the post in this tread.

So, just a quick comment on the AC-130! Next to B-52 carpet bombing the AC-130 has the most psychological effect on people on the ground by the sheer firepower it can concentrate in one area and the targets it can hit.

Unfortunately, the AC-130 is pretty vulnerable to many air defenses and is limited in where and when it can be properly and safely used. It is also not as selective as one might want in a tactical situation which was one of the reasons it would have been a very bad idea for backup in the raid in Somali as described in the novel and movie "Black Hawk Down". (It had been requested when the plan was submitted.)

19. Sierra Mike

Yeah, and it was denied for political reasons, not because of ADA issues. Same reason the 160th's DAPs were grounded--three units fully manned up, ready to sprint into battle, each packing as much lethality as an Apache, but tied down because Les Aspin was a freaking wuss.

SM

20. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

just in case anyone has problems downloading the video, i found another site that has it. be warned though------this file is a 35MB DIVX.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~jonesdl/gunship_video_divx.avi