1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abuse of power?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 22, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Skip to 2:10

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I did see this guy on Tosh. :)

ethics likes this.
  3. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I do not consider that an abuse of power.

There are some people you don't disrespect. In the Navy, you learned quickly to never disrespect the DK's, HM's, and the ET's. The DK would lose your pay records, the HM would lose your shot record, and the ET's okayed your personal electronics.

In civilian life, you never disrespect the Police or Judges. The police can beat the crap out of you and the judges can do just what he did. There was another video of a similar incident, where this woman could not keep her mouth shut. Every time she opened it, she got 30 more days. She ended up doing 180 days, just for contempt of court.

Never fuck with someone who can hold your life in their hands.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

More to the point the judge has to enforce the "dignity" and respect of the court. A judge cannot allow anarchy and random epithets and overt disrespect.

When the defendant said the charges had changed I did feel he should have had that point answered. It would seem like his attorney should have raised that point.

Copzilla and ethics like this.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Agreed, just seems to me someone dropped the ball of informing him about the repercussions.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

As if he'd cared? We have an entire generation that believes that whatever they say or do should be permitted, regardless of d├ęcor or consequence. Punk probably thought since this was all done via video, it wasn't a "real" courtroom.

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Judge Judy would have slammed him a lot harder than that!

Allene and ethics like this.
  8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Judge was NOT out of line, and the man was very much in contempt of court. This was not an abuse of power. The man was acting like a teenage brat in front of a wide number of people, and when you have someone like that, you have to demonstrate to the remaining defendants that this behavior out of any of them will result in harsh punishment. Like it or not, this guy was trying to show up the judge, and the judge really had no choice but to make an example out of him.

The judge didn't even seem angry. People who loaded up this video and narrated it as an abuse of power are probably little brats who want to do whatever they want and whine about everyone else who has any authority at all. These are the people who were never spanked as children. They got what they wanted by screaming at their parents.

9. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

It's not likely the charges changed. It's more likely the guy was bombed out of his skull and didn't remember what the exact charge was.

When a defendant steps up in front of a judge and is given no bond on an assault charge, that is a turd who has done something really screwed up, and probably a habitual violator. He knows damn well what he did.

10. Greg

Greg Full Member

Stupidity is its own punishment. Only an idiot disobeys the instructions of a judge in trial. The first contempt should have been sufficient warning, whether or not you agree, but as far as the second and third: "There is no educational value in the second kick from a mule." Thus my comment about stupidity.