1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About time.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by -Ken, Nov 30, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

This article talks about a bill being debated in the Massachusetts
    legislature to compensate people who were WRONGLY convicted
    of a crime, served time and were later released.

Tell me if I spent 15 years behind bars for a rape I didn't commit that I
    would be able to "forgive and forget" without so much as an apology.

Well worth the read.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

THANK you!!!! Not just to you, Ken, for providing the article, but THANK you for common sense in our legal systems.

3. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

taken from the article...

Does innocent mean "absolutely, positively not involved in the crime in any way" or does it include "Hell yes I did it, but I got off on a technicality"???

If it is just the former, I am all for it... If it includes the latter, than I am against it...

Innocence should not be described as "I beat the system", for that would be "Not Guilty"... There is a difference...

BDD... :{)

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Very astute observation BDD.
    I'm sure the intention is good, let's
    see how the implementation works.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is long overdue! Let's hope every state in the union will eventually pass such a law.

Allene

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It is about time!!!! Way too long, as a matter of fact!

SM

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I have followed several "Innocence Project" cases where DNA evidence supposedly "proves" that a person did not commit the crime. In many of those cases, DNA failed to prove (for example) that a convicted murderer did not also rape his victim. Since rape during the commission of a murder is grounds for being sentenced to death... we hear about DNA evidence procaliming that the person was "wrongly convicted".

In many cases that is not the truth. What really happened is that the accused person savagely beat and murdered his victim (but didn't also rape her... his accomplice who was never arrested did that) ...and so is he is released from prison because he is "innocent"..

Meanwhile, the "Innocence Project" twists the facts around and claims another victory!

Back to your original question... Yes, usually the person gets off on a technicality.

8. mikeky

mikeky Member

Things are seldom as simple as they seem, are they. I hadn't heard or thought of that possibility.