1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Abbey Road poster politically corrected

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by muddly, Feb 1, 2003.

1. muddly

muddly Guest

This was in the paper today and I could hardly believe it so I went to the site and looked for myself.

http://allposters.com/getthumb.asp?Search=abbey+road&Page=1&c=

Check out Paul's hand in the "giant poster." His cigarette has been removed.

Geez, the Abbey Road cover? Is nothing sacred?

I am waiting for the news release that seeing pictures of cigarettes causes cancer. Or maybe it is more serious - seeing pictures the way the artist intended might cause socially unacceptable thoughts... or even just thoughts.

Thoughts?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Muddly, is that a kid's site?

3. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

PC is bullshit. They need to leave shit alone. Whats next? The Mona Lisa's smile? Oh, I know, the Eiffel Tower leads to violence because it is pointy?

BTW: Good topic, muddly.

4. muddly

muddly Guest

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Other peculiarities of the Abbey Road album cover included the fact that Paul was barefooted whereas the others were not, he was out of step and the VW's license plates were significant in what one I cannot recall exactly. This was all flaming the rumour that Paul was dead. The other "evidence" were some of the words to "A Day in the Life" on Sgt Peppers some of which if played backwards said "Paul is dead".

Also on the cover of "Magical Mystery Tour" all four Beatles were dressed as animals. Paul was dressed as a walrus which is a folk symbol of death according to some.

There were other "signs" all of which were a bit of fun on the part of John so the story goes.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

So, how is this allowed, yet the folks who edit movies to remove filth and profanity were sued for it as some kind of copyright violation?
    Ugly

8. muddly

muddly Guest

Well I thought this was interesting:

"A spokesperson for Apple Records, which owns the rights to the image, also refused comment. But a spokesperson for the record company told BBC news, "We have never agreed to anything like this. "It seems these poster companies got a little carried away. They shouldn't have done what they have, but there isn't much we can do about it now.""

My arse there isn't. Tell them to yank the poster off the site immediately, and make a loud statement about your concern for the integrity of the images you own the rights to.

It's like one anti-smoker pulls a stunt and everyone goes along. If Apple didn't support editing the picture, they're sure doing a good imitation of not giving a rat's behind.

Re: the Hendrix poster, the other sizes of the Abbey Road poster do not have the cigarette edited out either. It's not an obvious site-wide policy or anything.