1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A truly sad and heartbreaking story.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Frodo Lives, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

When the residents of Urbana, Ohio learned that 7 year old Hannah Milbrandt was dying from cancer, they came together in support. With donations and fund raising events, the community was able to raise thousands of dollars for Hannah and her family. "It was an amazing show of human spirit, something not seen very much these days," one man said to a reporter. But this also showed a much darker side of the human spirit.

Teresa Milbrandt, 35 tricked her daughter and the community into thinking that Hannah was dying from cancer. She even went as far as shaving her daughters head, drug her with sleeping pills, and taking her to counseling to prepare to die. She did it for the money, she admitted.

''By the time we get done, there's going to be a lot of charges here,'' Sgt. David Reese said. Hannah has been removed from her home.

More on the story

2. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

More and more, I feel that people should have to pass a test to become parents and get a license. Fail the test? -snip-

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I am speechless.

4. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

the levels on which I am offended to not lend easily to verbiage...certainly not in a dignified community.

5. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I think what offends me most is that both of my parents have a terminal illness. So many people have donated time and money to my parents to help us out. And to think someone would use such kind people makes me sick. Actually it is probably tied with the fact that she had convinced her own daughter she was dying.

Do you think she would have eventually killed her daughter?

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Quite possible. I am not a doctor but is this a case of Munchausen syndrome by proxy? I have not heard of a case carried to murder but anything is possible.

She is certainly mentally disturbed and needs help. The family will also need treatment. It's all so very,very sad for all involved.