1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Thousand Hills of Heaven

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by SixofNine, Nov 15, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Wow, a veteran development worker and professor at Columbia named Josh Ruxin practiced what he preached, moving to Rwanda to help develop a sustainable village.

The Rwandan government plays a very important role:

Allene and ethics like this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

What an amazing story! I am going to get that book! He hit the nail on the head here:

It is always better to help people to help themselves, then step back and let them do it.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Hills-Heaven-Restaurant-Rwanda/dp/0316232912 Available on Kindle for $11.04.

I'm going to get the Kindle edition. I am also going to pass this article and the link to Amazon.com to a young friend of mine who is winding up a year in Haiti. She is a volunteer with a faith-based group there, and was in Malawi for several years before that. She loves Africa. I think she will find this story very interesting, even though it is a secular group. Thanks so much for posting it, Brian.

4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

My pleasure!

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I hope this isn't the same fraud story as Two cups of Tea or whatever that name was.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't think so. My first thought was no way this could be happening in a African country. Too much corruption.

Apparently Rwanda is very different where there's little corruption and the government works very hard to keep it that way.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

That was Three Cups of Tea. :) I remember when that story broke, but haven't followed up on it recently.