1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A relates to B as apple to ?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Ugly, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

A letter to the editor in the (only in NY & SFC!) NYTimes has this gem by Jim Forbes of San Francisco two days after the crash of Columbia:

"The loss of the space shuttle Columbia and its crew of seven is a national tragedy. Time is needed for Americans to mourn. I hope that President Bush will do the right thing by slowing down his march to war and focusing instead on the healing that such a blow to national pride requires."

What sanctimonious excrement! Such liberal idiocy proves the anesthetizing effects of moral relativism upon one's intellect.

I can not help but accuse the liberal NYT of a secret joy in this loss of life as it presents a newfound excuse to denounce our policy of Iraqi disarmanent. Of course they select only certain letters to print what they feel but can not write themselves. Yech. I feel ill.

There is no relation, at all, of the Columbia crash to our foreign policy, or even a possible war in Iraq.

Better, ah worse examples of such freakish comparisons of unrelated issues for selfish or political gain are invited in this thread.

best fishes, Ugly
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

NYT has been trash rag for a while. It took 9.11.01 for me to realize that.
  3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

NYT, CNN (that damn ticker of theirs really gets on my nerves), almost all news media today has slant of some sort, it's just a matter of degree. Let's not forget what Jedi Writer said about Time:

"Some years ago they featured as their cover story "Lying" and the featured article inside went into how lying had become such a natural thing for all elements of American society both at the individual and institutional level.

I wrote the editors telling them that they should know since TIME is an expert at lying and twisting the story to their own needs and point of view.

They shocked me. Someone on the editorial staff wrote me a polite but very direct personal letter saying yep they interpreted the news anyway they saw fit and ran it as fact. Of course they sugar coated it a bit more than that but they outright admitted that they did it."

Ever since news has become a cost center and a line item on a corporate balance sheet, what else do you expect?
  4. Ugly

Ugly Fish is Brain Food

The news crawler is what they call it, I think. Yech
  5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Ticker, crawler, just get rid of it. The graphics department had some extra cash or something? I love it when a speech is being given and the stupid thing is delivering an instant analysis at the same time. :rolleyes: