1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question or Two

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My understanding of the agreement ending the Gulf War included provisions for the creation of the no fly zone and the patrolling of the no fly zone by aircraft of the coalition. Am I wrong about this?

If I am not wrong then we need to ask why is not firing on and attempting to kill our pilots enough of a violation to require action to remedy?

If I am wrong then I bow to the wise words of Rosanna Rosanna Danna, "Never Mind."

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Correct on both cases.

We are America, and we should be guilty of being successful. (heavily sarcastic)

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Thank you Ethics, I was beginning to wonder if the little memory I have left was on its way out.

So to sum it up, the US and the UK are enforcing the agreements made at the end of the Gulf War, the Iraqi's are attempting to down our aircraft and kill our pilots, they are also destroying our drones on occasion and the UN, whose policies we are enforcing does not think our losses are enough to take action on.

I would still rather Bush be up front about our reasons to believe they are in violation with regards to WMD but it is time to stop their firing on our planes. Whether by massive attack on their defensive systems or by invasion, it is time to enforce the rules that allowed that lying, murdering bastard to remain in power.

The man has lied and connived for 12 years now. He has not lived up to one agreement during that time. We listened to world opinion and offered one more opportunity. If it was not evident that he must be honest by this time I do not know what could convince him. He has once again showed his declarations were not only lies, they were only copies of findings that are a minimum of 5 years old.

I am sick of tired of jumping to everybody's whistle. We have waited for good faith and there has yet been any evidence of even a little good faith. Those asking for one more thing have been doing nothing but delaying. Every time one request for delay was met we have only heard of the next hoop to jump through.

The President and the country have bent over backward to meet the legitimate reservations of our allies. Its time we allow ourselves the luxury of acting in our own best interests as we see them, not as defined by foreign leaders.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Well said, and agreed.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hoo-ah, Shiny!

Yes, the Iraqis agreed to the establishment of the no-fly zones. Then, the second the Iraqi generals reported back to Saddam (who was, of course, kept fully informed and agreed to every stipulation by remote control), Saddam revealed to the world he did not really agree to the zones and would not recognize them.

Technically, according to the letter of the agreements, the Iraqis are in complete violation by firing on US/UK jets. They also penetrate the zones for brief periods of time without contest, taking off for the unpatrolled sector the second allied aircraft begin to orient on them.

Frankly speaking, I think every time allied aircraft see an ADA or AAA site, they should bomb the shit out of it without giving them the ability to shoot first. :)

SM