1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Palm Pilot for the Prosecution

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I recently read an interesting article in the New York Times (they want $3 to read it online now) where they talk about how prosecutors are able to use the defendants Palm Pilots as evidence in a case and get them sentenced. For example one guy was an identity theft, kept a memo on each of his victims with information such as SSNs and addresses, with ToDo tasks such as pick up checks from office supply store. They said that people tend to be brutally honest with their PDAs, even more so than their journals/diaries. Often people do not think about how unsecure their PDA is if it gets into someone elses hands. Many times when people have their desktop locked down harder than Fort Knox, their passwords are all stored in their PDA which then the Police are able to use to get into the computer and get even more evidence. Maybe purchasing a secure PDA wouldn't be a bad idea after all. So I'm curious for all you PDA toting people here, how much information do you really have in your PDA? Maybe now you might consider trying out that passcode feature that you always thought would be too much of a nuisance. After all, all it takes is having it slip out of your pocket at an airport and an identity theft would have everything they need. I've actually read that many PDAs display ownership information on startup, and in addition to name and address, people will offer a reward in the ownership information for the safe return. So when the person who finds it turns it on, they'lll be more likely to try to return it then keep it...

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

The only thing I have on my Palm VII is the Palma Sutra.

You're too young to see it, though.

SM

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I've got that, too, but I'm going to dump it. Pictures are too blasted small. I'd rather watch the young women on the street or in the subway, and let my imagination roam freely. :)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I bought a PDA from a someone--who became a friend--on BBR site. It's amazing, was cheap, but I hardly use it. My laptop can not be beat at the moment and with all the stuff I keep on it, the Feds would be bored as hell. ;)