1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A letter from Mrs. Clinton

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 8, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Dear Mr. Keylin:
    I am pleased to announce that yesterday the United States Senate, by unanimous consent, passed legislation I introduced with Senator Don Nickles that would extend unemployment insurance benefits for five months.

I will work hard to ensure that the United States House of Representatives acts quickly to pass this legislation so that the President may sign it into law.

Under this legislation, unemployed Americans will receive an additional 20 weeks of benefits while giving the economy a much needed stimulus of $7.25 billion. Twenty-four billion dollars still sits in the Unemployment Insurance Trust fund - more than three times the amount needed to fund this legislation.

The original compromise bill, introduced by Senator Nickles and I, to extend benefits a second time would have allowed individuals receiving extensions to continue collecting benefits until they expire in full and allowed individuals who have exhausted their regular 26 weeks to apply for an extension through March 2003. The new bill builds on that compromise by extending the date through May 2003.

I am committed to continue working to also provide assistance for nearly one million "exhaustees," those individuals who have already had an extension and are still without a job. Yesterday, I introduced in the Senate a separate bill that would cover exhaustees for an additional 13 weeks.

Over the past six months, the jobless rate has hovered around 6 percent, and long-term unemployment levels now exceed those reached in any recent recession. Today, 8 million unemployed Americans are competing for a mere 3.2 million jobs. In this current economy, it is expected that the number of workers exhausting their benefits will be eight hundred thousand more
    than in the recession of the early 1990s when President George H.W. Bush signed in to law three extensions..

In New York State, the unemployment rate is 6%, 535,200 people, up from 5.8% in October and 5.6% last year. In New York City, the unemployment rate is 8%, 282,000 people, up from 7.8% in October and 7.1% last year.

If you would like to respond to my e-mail or contact me via e-mail about this or any other subject, please use my web response form at http://clinton.senate.gov/email_form.html. Because of the size of my constituency and the growing number who choose to communicate through e-mail, I have selected the web form as the fairest and most equitable system to respond to e-mail messages. E-mails that are sent as a direct response to my outgoing e-mail fall outside the system and do not receive a response.

Please check my website at http://clinton.senate.gov for regular updates on this and other important issues being discussed before the United States Senate.

Sincerely yours,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

http://clinton.senate.gov

================

Uhm, thanks Hillary. Now, perhaps you will write me a letter about what was written to you almost a year ago?

It all started when corporate corruptions were being announced with the ilk of Enron, WorldCom, and others. I've had 3 emails since, from Mrs. Clinton and none of them are related to my letter I sent her.

That's not to say that I am belittling her vote for the above issue.

2. EMIG

EMIG Yup

At least she didn't cheerfully inform you that she had just taken the action you opposed just like you wanted.

That was my experience with Nancy Pelosi before she was Minority Leader. I doubt she's changed. I'd write her more often, but we got bombarded by pollsters after that single letter.

3. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I remember you talking about this before (perhaps it was at the EL forum, and I think you showed us a letter that looked similarly boiler platish), but I can't recall the exact content of your letter to her. Can you fill us in?

4. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

During the Clinton presidency I always thought that Clinton should have been impeached. Her husband too!;)

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It was a template letter that Stevent created. I wish I kept the draft, but perhaps he has it still?