1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A good marriage is no guarantee against infidelity

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Soooo many things to say about this but I will start off with, Gentlemen, the ladies want a man. Not another girlfriend.

I am only half joking here. So many gems in this essay written by a therapist.

As I get older, I think people -- especially Western society -- need to re-think the concept of marriage. I think too many people go in to with unrealistic expectations and with our lives constantly being extended with medical technology, the person you marry today may be a (totally) different person in 10, 20, 30 years. I don't want to blame this on one gender over the other but I have to blame the women more than men. Not individuals but the society as a whole. This whole move towards extreme feminism is not only killing marriages, it's making many women end up alone. Guys have more recourses outside of marriages and speaking from personal experience, guys recover because we are wired very differently.

Anyway, have an excellent read.

Why Happy People Cheat

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

My perceptions about marriage, in general, can be summed up here:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    ethics likes this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

This is basically the "seven-year itch," but not confined to that time period. Some people get married too young and think they're missing something later on. They don't have the opportunity to experience any deeply unhappy periods in their lives before they get married. I was 31 when I married, which was considered "old" back then. I knew by then that nobody was "going to make me happy." I had to do that myself. The so-called prosaic life looked beautiful to me by then.

Another problem, from my point of view, is a high degree of self-absorption among some of these people. It's hard to feel satisfied with your life if you are constantly gazing at your navel and picking at all your scabs. My two cents! ;)

ethics likes this.
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

This nails it.

Allene likes this.
  5. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I'll have to watch that again, I didn't realize the bad guy was Andreas Katsulas...