1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A case of a prototypical leftist

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Copzilla, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Austin Texas is a liberal bastion in an otherwise conservative state. They're proud of it. They have a slogan - "Keep Austin Weird."

So... Property taxes have been on the rise in Austin, and now it's giving people headaches. People are calling for "reforms", which I take to mean they expect government to ease their troubles. But why have taxes been on the rise? The reality is that there is no state income tax, property owners have always taken a larger share of the tax burden here in order to give poorer people a fair shake, and the property taxes are based on really how nice a house the person is paying for.

But what Austinites are really not getting is WHY their taxes are really going up. And of course, completely unable to engage in introspection...

http://www.lovenorthaustin.com/new-...ls-spurs-push-to-reform-tax-appraisal-process

“I’m at the breaking point,” said Gretchen Gardner, an Austin artist who bought a 1930s bungalow in the Bouldin neighborhood just south of downtown in 1991 and has watched her property tax bill soar to $8,500 this year.

“It’s not because I don’t like paying taxes,” said Gardner, who attended both meetings. “I have voted for every park, every library, all the school improvements, for light rail, for anything that will make this city better. But now I can’t afford to live here anymore. I’ll protest my appraisal notice, but that’s not enough. Someone needs to step in and address the big picture.”

Awww, poor little Gretchen. You voted for it. Pay up, bitch.

And now, when you label conservatives as the "Party of No", now you know why that is a good thing. Because someone has to pay for it.

BTW, someone in the comments did a little research...

You aren't getting the whole story.

She owns a large lot with two houses on it in a desirable location. Much of tax increase was because of the increase in improvements that were finally adjusted to include the 2nd house, built in 2007. Her 2013 'improvements' valuation was $36k then finally adjusted to $200k in 2014...still only assesed at $370k for $650k market value.

...Search in Travis Co Tax Records reveals...

http://propaccess.traviscad.org/clientdb/Property.aspx?prop_id=302324

So basically, she IS the rich that the liberals engage with all the class envy. Suck it up, buttercup.

ethics likes this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Yep. I love how they vote for all these improvements without thinking who's paying for it. In the end, they get what they deserve and then some.

And lord help a duck if you point out that they're the ones who are the cause for the tax increases.

3. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"No no no, I don't want you raising MY taxes, I want all that free stuff to come out of that other Government money!'

I told my (liberal) wife a while back, that Libs are like that Seinfeld bit where everyone is at a dinner ordering drinks, appetizers, lobster, steak, dessert, like there is no tomorrow, then they suddenly turn into fiscal Conservatives when the check comes.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I loved your whole OP!!! :)

Austin has San Francisco envy. They seek to become the San Francisco of Texas. I find that ironic in a state that is amongst the top performers in having a real recovery. I chuckle every time I see another Rick Perry commercial inviting California business and Californians to move to Texas. I presume he's running those commercials in all the Marxist states.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

This lady mentions it's time to look at the "big picture." I think it is too late for that now. Looking at the big picture BEFORE voting for something would be the way to go.

Many of these people really look down their noses at conservatives. We're such squares! We're way behind the times, uptight, selfish, lacking in compassion, lacking in culture, and so on and so on. What I am seeing are people who have lost the ability to see the big picture, but don't know it.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

O... MY GoD... That is the embodiment of the Liberal alright.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

Before you worry about conservatism in America, do a bit of research on the nation's leading cable/satellite news network.

It wouldn't be there if there wasn't a lot of grass roots support for conservatism in America.

If you need any further assurance: (1) who got control of both houses of Congress in 2014? (2) Who won the Presidency in 2016?

Yeah, ain't there yet. But just asks who implodes the truth from the Offal Office every day, and who his backers/losers are.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Where did you get the idea from my post that I was WORRIED about conservatism in America? I was complaining about the extreme left's attitude. That's all! I am not interested in doing research on Fox News.

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were worried about the future of conservatism. But tell the truth, you didn't need to do any research to know which cable/satellite network had the largest market share, did you? :)

10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Typical Liberal, votes for taxes then bitches because her taxes went up.

That being said, the property tax system in Texas is in desperate need of an overhaul.

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

True dat. Even when I owned a home in San Antonio a few years back taxes were a bugger on that hunk of junk.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

My property taxes are about $8K/year in Los Angeles.

13. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's one of the only ways they can increase revenue, other than raising the sales tax or implementing a state tax. They already have a zillion toll roads--what else can they do?

Listen, the taxes in Texas (say that three times fast) are NOTHING compared to the taxes in the northeast. My property tax is about to go past $10,000 a year! And they tax cars, boats, airplanes, everything where I live.

14. Copzilla

Some people SAY that property taxes are high in Texas, but the reality is that housing prices are low here. So the rate may be higher than elsewhere, but my perspective is that it all works fine.

15. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I'm over $7K per year in real property tax. As is the case with many states, a big chunk of that (70% for us) goes into the local school system.

No surprises here -- according to the tax foundation, in 2011 the top five states in total state-local tax burden were:

New York
    New Jersey
    Connecticut
    California
    Wisconsin

Texas is 47th. With its oil money Alaska is 50th.

16. Copzilla

Right, so we're talking total tax burden.

When liberals start talking about taxes at all, they're really talking about taking up the entire total tax burden. Period.

If you compare total cost of living, you will find Texas to be very good in that department also. AND if you talk about cost of doing business, you will find THAT to be very good.

And liberals whine that we have low salaries... That is true, our salaries here are lower than many places in the US. But that actually helps the poor among us, not indicative of there being so many poor people. Because with reduced everything, cost of living, taxes, the whole smash, the dollar of the poor person stretches much further.

We have the same minimum wage as California. Yet the cost of a dozen eggs in California is 50 cents higher, the cost of a gallon of milk a dollar higher. That's $1.50 the poor guy here keeps in his pocket. Yay! So liberals make the mistake of wanting to raise taxes, which raises the price of everything, which really doesn't help the poor guy. In trying to distribute it, they throw so many layers of bureaucracy that very little of it actually helps anyone. It turns into this big fat Trapper Keeper of a government.

Look at this. Wal-Mart pays a median wage here of just over $10 per hour. A two person family working 40 hours a week at Wal-Mart will make just over $40,000 per year. Here in Texas, you can live alright on that. It's not poor like most people think of poor. They can have a reasonable apartment, a car, all the food they need, clothes, whatever. You can rent a 1-BR apartment in a reasonable neighborhood here for about $750.

17. dsl987

dsl987 Member

They have toll roads because the legislature is too chicken shit to increase the gas tax. Tolls unfairly burden those that need to use them by paying gas tax + tolls, whereas those with out tolls roads only have to pay once.

The problem I have with the property tax system is that it just needs to be overhauled. Sales prices of properties should have to be reported which would help assessors value more accurately value the properties. Commercial properties are worse than residential, it was recently reported that a commercial property sold for $82 million, but the new owners then fought the valuation down to $40 million. How can you argue it's only worth half of what you just paid for it? Businesses have the money to fight these valuations and are shifting the burden to residential.
    I'm not against taxes, just make the system better.

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

On June 6th, 1978, nearly two-thirds of California’s voters passed Proposition 13*, reducing property tax rates on homes, businesses and farms by about 57%.

Property tax increases on any given property were limited to no more than 2% per year as long as the property was not sold. Once sold, the property was reassessed at 1% of the sale price, and the 2% yearly cap became applicable to future years.

A classic best case example for the property owner is Disneyland. The place hasn't changed ownership since prop 13 passed. Wonder what the difference in the property tax is between what they are paying thanks to prop 13 versus if they were paying based upon the regular assessed value scale?

*The greatest commercial property tax scam in the history of the US.

ethics likes this.