1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Case for Owning a Gun

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 21, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"Sgt. James C. Lowery, 22, returned fire after being shot in the face in the drive-thru lane of a fast-food restaurant. He was listed in fair condition Thursday at a Montgomery hospital. His father, James Eugene Lowery, said the bullet hit his son in the top left cheek and stopped near his voice box. "He comes back from Afghanistan safe and whole. Then he comes home on leave to have rest and peace and this happens," the father said.
    Police said Lowery got out of his Chevrolet Suburban when approached by a gunman in the drive-thru lane of a McDonald's restaurant Tuesday night. The gunman shot Lowery, who was then able to get his .45-caliber pistol from the car and shoot his assailant multiple times. Dead at the scene was Thaddeus Antone, 19, of Montgomery."

Good #@&&@ riddance and judge, jury, and numerous of court money has not been wasted.

Call me crass, abrassive, and an asshole.

2. ethics

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Good post. And I agree with you fellow asshole.

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

You crass, abrasive asshole! How do I sign up for the CAA club because I agree with you 100%?

It is amazing that scum like this exists in our country. There are people walking our streets right now who would kill any one of us for our wallets.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

.22 vs .45...just the matchup I like. :)

SM

6. ethics

Actually, this story broke the camels back and I will be going out and getting my target practice permit. I will seek everyone's help later on as to shooting, picking target, and picking the best weapon I can own at home.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

*confused*

So because someone was the victim of an attempted mugging, you're going to get a gun?

8. spg

spg Registered User

I guess ol' Thad wanted to play "hard ball".

9. wafen

wafen Member

I can't agree more.
    As an aside, I think we should give and teach every women how to use a Glock 23. I bet the attempted rape statistics go way down very quickly.

10. ethics

No, my post explicitly mentioned the straw that broke the camel's back. I was procrastinating in doing this, but this made me realize better sooner than later.

11. jamming

jamming Banned

You can have a gun in New York City? What about the Sullivan Statute?

12. Sierra Mike

What's the status of getting a carry permit in the NYC Metro Area? Supposedly it's one of the toughest places to own and carry. Obviously, carrying a weapon is your best choice; having one at home while getting rolled on the 6 train won't be of much help.

SM

13. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I see. I guess what I was asking, really, is what made THIS particular incident the straw?

14. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

But ethics... this deprived the poor, lost soul who perpetrated the incident of a fair trial and a prison sentence where he would be able to be educated and become a more productive member of society upon release!! :rolleyes:

;)

BDD... :{)

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

It is. You apply to the police department and I believe you have to show that your life is regularly potentially endangered -- and that does not mean that you might be victim of a random mugging. If it were that simple every hoodlem living in a crappy neighborhood who didn't have an aarrest record woulod qualify. It means something like, you regularly have to carry large amounts of cash in dangerous neighborhoods or some such thing.

There is a current scandal on the department because a cop helped some rock star who didn't qualify get a carry permit.

Leon might qualify if we all started making serious threats on his life, and a couple of took shots at him, though. :cool:

16. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

The punk got the punishment he deserved. I am surprised some asshole prosecutor hadn't tried to charge Lowery for defending himself. God help the person that ever breaks into our house, because I keep a razor sharp broad sword near my bed and I know how to use it.

17. Sierra Mike

Well, I am hankering to move up in the GlobalAffairs admin hierarchy, so perhaps this is my only way to do it. Assassination is one of the best methods for career advancement, after all.

SM

18. Sierra Mike

Note to self: When breaking into Frodo's crib, either dress as a really hot female elf, or bring a long gun to the event.

And watch out for the low ceilings.

Sauron

19. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Hey Sauron, don't need a female elf, just bring food, he is a hobbit.

20. ethics

NYC has one of the toughest laws and neither am I planning to illegaly carry it or applying for full carry (which I would never get).

Target Shooting permit allows you to carry a gun away and separate from the bullets. The gun must never be loaded, and the clip away and packed in a separate container/bag.

Owning a gun at home, I will have to look in to that but I am sure target practice permit will help here as well.