1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Broken Paradigm and a Dirty Little Secret

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Coot, Oct 31, 2002.

1. -Ken

-Ken Guest

No Ethics, with all it's charms, Boston (while traditionally very prudish) is not
    part of the Bible Belt. When I lived in the Boston area, it was not acceptable
    to have teenage boys and girls living in the same room.

Of course, I getting older now and I don't live in the Boston area anymore so
    I'm not sure what all the cool people are doing now.
  2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I worked in the Boston area a couple of days a week from 11/2000-1/2002...it is an odd place, but the sights on Mulberry Street in summertime are incredible.

Unfortunately, I don't know what the "cool" people do there either, and if I did, I'm fairly certain I would disapprove.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Because they're TEACHERS! They went to college for FOUR WHOLE years so they deserve the same salaries as surgeons and lawyers and CEO's.

Teachers are so full of themselves these days. Hey Ken, if you know any "struggling" teachers up there, please tell them to apply to PA schools. $41K can go a long way here in central PA. Trust me...I know. I have several friends who are teachers, and they drive BMW's and Audi's. Too damned bad if the doctors drive Vettes and Mercedes'. THEY ARE DOCTORS. If you want to be very wealthy, then don't go to school to be a teacher. Be a doctor.

Ken went on and on about how $100K+ for a family isn't much in Boston, but what about all the other people in other professions living in Boston? Does every homeowner in the Boston area earn a six figure salary? Please, someone explain to me WHY teachers are worth more than the median salary in this country? I assure you, it is not difficult to get a teaching degree. I know math teachers whom I wouldn't trust to teach my kids(if I had any) what a decimal point is. Yes, I know there are a lot of responsibilities, but police officers and accountants have responsibilities too. Why do teachers deserve more than accounts? I'm not saying they don't...I just want to know why so many teachers piss and moan about how "bad" they have it. IF YOU WANT LOTS OF MONEY, DON'T BE A DAMNED TEACHER. If you want to teach and could settle for a BMW or an Audi, then go for it. (Yes, I know they are not as nice as the lawyer guy's Porsche up the road, but they WILL get you from pojnt A to point B.)
  4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

One bad parent can fuck up one kid for the rest of his life.

One bad teacher can fuck up innumerable childrend during the teacher's entire career, for the rest of the kids' lives.

Good money draws good people, but also implies other money is available for ensuring accreditation, decent facilities, and teachers who genuinely care about educating children...especially since so many parents these days seem to have abrograted their responsibility in that area.

Why do the teachers deserve good pay?

So our society doesn't fall apart. Anyone who can't understand that should go back to school.
  5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks to MyWay (thanks to Stevent mostly) I was able to customize this portal in order to catch the issue reported today in NY Times:

Around Boston, where house prices have doubled in the last five years, a family making the local median income of $61,000 can afford the monthly payments on a house worth only half the median price of $395,000. This is true even though the annual interest rate on a typical mortgage fell to a four-decade low last month, before inching back above 6 percent. In the mid-1990's, a median income allowed the purchase of nearly a median-priced house, according to Economy.com, a consulting firm in West Chester, Pa.

The story is not about teachers, however, not sure why Ken picked Boston to make his point but...

See a good article here.
  6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Coincidently I knew what you so accurately communicated in your post.

Also, in terms of education I never really thought of teachers and the formal part of the education process as being liberal or conservative--just overall terrible and inadequate with the quality of teachers diminishing as you go UP the academic ladder with the worse teachers being at the University level and the best teachers at the elementary grades. (Speaking generally.)

As for the conservative or liberal influence I only really think of that as being <i>generally</i> abusive at the University or college level with the bias manifesting itself in double standards, PC, and supression of free speech.