1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Better Memory

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

A better memory would be a welcome thing for a lot of people, including myself. The way to obtain it has been around for thousands of years and still is applicable today. Some people probably use it and dont know it.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

But the secret to their total recall was not higher intelligence, a better education or a different brain structure.

A close questioning of the memory champs found they all used mnemonics - a mental technique attributed to a Greek lyric poet, Simonides of Ceos in 477, who recalled all the sights and landmarks along routes he had walked.

Simonides' so-called "mental walk" technique is more formally called "method of loci".

Under this, an object or number is associated with an image, which is set down as a salient point on a mental road. This path is then retraced when it comes to recall time.

Very very interesting stuff. I like how simple the solution is. Any books out there that brush up this skill?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There are, but I forgot their names.

4. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

Not a book (who wants to pay for it anyway? ;)), but good introduction, background, tips and tricks for mnemonics...
    http://www.demon.co.uk/mindtool/memory.html

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Excellent, thank you my friendly tiger bear. :)

6. jamming

jamming Banned

What was this post about? I forgot. ;)

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Who are you? Where am I?

?M

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

A better memory is not always a good thing. As I get older the list of things I do not want to remember gets longer and longer and...

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Crucial makes a better memory. At least that's how I remember it.