1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

98.6 and the old Normal?

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Sep 2, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I like articles like this. One that questions the status quo... Then I started reading it and through out I was like, 'wellll duh?'

The premise is that 98.6 body temp is NOT normal and that this was set back 150 years ago. Ok, so far I am with them. Sometimes my normal IS 98.6 and sometimes it's 99.2 but you'd have to be a dumb ass to think that 98.6 is ALWAYS the normal. Or am I the dumb ass for having high expectations for people?

• First, there’s no single number for normal. It’s slightly higher for women than men. It’s higher for children than adults. And it is lowest in the morning.

I mean if you've ever had kids and lived with a woman (or vice versa) you'd know this as common knowledge.

• The study, published online this month in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, refutes the age-old benchmark of 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit. Instead, Hausmann and his colleagues found an average normal temperature in adults of 97.7 degrees, as measured with an oral thermometer. (The published study uses results from 329 healthy adults.) As for fever, Hausmann found that it begins at 99.5 degrees, on average.

I get that these are averages but I've never had a temp of lower than 98.0. Even when getting up from bed in the AM.
    Still a good read. My biggest gripe, I guess, is that people reach for a temp gauge AFTER they feel they are infected. Meaning that you are not popping the thermometer in to your ass, mouth, under arm, just for the sake of seeing numbers. You usually trying to confirm why you feel like shit and for that, MY OWN personal digit is 99.2.

98.6 Degrees Is A Normal Body Temperature, Right? Not Quite

Allene likes this.
  2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

I just had my semi-annual physical last Friday. My appointment was at 9am. At 8:35am when I left the house, the temperature was 59 degrees and I drove the 10 miles with the top down on the convertible. I was first in the office to be seen and was called back immediately. I may have had a goose bump or two. When my temperature was taken, it was 97.9. When the nurse made a comment about it, she looked back through my charts and realized that my normal temperature was just over 98 degrees (fluctuating between 98.2 and 98.4).
    I know I have a fever when my temperature is above 99...

BDD

ethics likes this.
  3. Arc

Arc Full Member

After I've been up for an hour or so my temperature throughout the day and until bedtime is 97.4. In the mornings during that first hour, my temp varies between 95.8 and 96.8. I know that there is a reason I'm not feeling good if my temp hits 99. I've only had a temperature over 100 perhaps four times in my adult life.

Allene and ethics like this.
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Then there's people like me who don't even own a thermometer. If I feel like shit, I know I'm sick. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

Allene likes this.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I own a thermometer but cannot find it half of the time. I thought I posted to this thread earlier, but don't see it. I am hypothyroid. I think that's why m normal is 95. whatever.

ethics likes this.