1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

86% of all luxury vehicles are driven by people who are not millionaires

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Oct 11, 2010.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ha, didn't people already know this? I work with a lot of them (millionaires) and you would never tell one apart if they were walking down the street.

But I like this part best:

Oh God, if that doesn't describe the idiotic Russian attitude I don't know what does. But here we are, and research suggests that the Recession might NOT change our behavior.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/30/AR2010013000031_pf.html

2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

The Pretenders should read, "The Millionaire Next Door", and realize why they should not be Under Accumulators of Wealth (UAW). Of course, as the Wiki entry notes, doctors and lawyers are usually UAW's, so I'm not one to give advice on saving.

3. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

I've never bought a new car, but then I'm no millionaire either.
    My grandpa liked to buy used Caddies, though, before leases became common place some people would buy new and trade them in 1 or 2 years old with low miles and good maintenance.

More to the OP, though, are some memorable lines from Glengarry-Glenross, a movie about some real estate salesmen in a place like Brooklyn (I can't remember if it was set there, filmed there, or just was like there).

In this [NSFW] (language) 4-minute clip the 'car' quote is at 59 seconds and starts with "What's your name", another starts with "You see this watch?" at 2:44.

If you have time, a better 7-minute clip [NSFW] (language) has more set-up, with the 'car' quote at 3:20 and "You see this watch?" at about 5:20.

There's some famous actors in those roles, and for me it helps that I've seen one playing a hero-astronaut because I've put up with that kind of inspirational pep-talk myself, and it's hard not to believe what the bad-ass dude is saying without calling up some factual memories.

So what's real the relevance to the OP?
    Based on the evidence in the clip, the Alec Baldwin character could be sleeping in his car, but that's not what it looks like, and he couldn't act out his his rant without it.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

This is "news" to some?

It's been common place for decades in this country. In my suburb I'm surrounded by them.

5. Premier

Premier Well-Known Member

A relative of mine retire to the Queenland Gold Coast years ago and during a holiday visit he said that the wealthiest people he knows wear sneakers, shorts and drive old cars :D