1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

74 School Shootings Since Newtown

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Sierra Mike, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

As one might expect, President Obama is stroking this one.

Political buffoonery aside though, I'm a little taken aback by the mounting numbers. I think back to the time when I was in the school system in the 1970s, a time when America was not nearly as "safe" in terms of crime as it is today. Guns were everywhere back then, too. I'm inclined to believe (as I always have, no point in lying about it) that the guns are hardly the contributor, it's the people with their booger-hooks on the bang levers. But troubling to me is that there's no indication anyone understands why this torrent of violence is occurring. Worse, it appears that folks are more interested in ignoring the disease in favor of attaching undue significance to the transport mechanism itself.

It's no surprise that Obama hates guns, hates the military, hates everything that signifies all is not well in the liberal world. But the response from the right is pretty underwhelming, as well. I wonder why this is, and I wonder how long it's going to go on. Because eventually, I'll have Connecticut State Troopers showing up at my doorstep to confiscate my weapons, and that concerns me greatly.

Biker and SixofNine like this.
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I think a lot of this goes to how the school systems are actually run now. Political correctness runs rampant, and heaven forbid if a teacher actually tells a student that life isn't fair and they're not a special little snowflake. Add to that a tendency for mommy and daddy to ignore the signs (as well as perpetuating the special snowflake myth) and we're getting a generation of fucked up kids that can't handle the real world. Especially when the lesson of there are consequences for your actions is not only forgotten, but actively suppressed.

Social media doesn't help when criminals are glorified. The Columbine shooters (Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold) actually have a fucking fan page on Facebook. How fucking sick is that?

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So people are killing more because schools are more PC?

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

The meaning I take from Tom's post is that too many kids these days are undisciplined brats who cannot deal with even a whiff of rejection. The PC stuff and the need to protect the kids' "self-esteem" at any cost are some of the ill-advised behaviors on the part of the adults that are helping produce spoiled kids who cannot deal with the real world.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's the whole lack of teaching responsibility and that there are consequences for your actions. Schools don't fail kids when they need to be failed. They bow to parental pressure to advance the kids and heaven forbid a kid learns that the world isn't fair from the teaching staff.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, you are right. I understand that very well.

7. ethics

I am going to disagree. Not because I think you are wrong and I am right, I just think that explanation is way too simplistic and emotionally soothing.

The real reason is more scientific but unpopular because it underlines what silly, simple animals humans are. You magnify, spin, bombard people with a massive shooting and what happens after? The difference now and 70's is that now not only are you getting bombarded by major papers (3 in NYC), the nightly news (3 channels) but with today's technology and paradigm of news, it's NON-STOP coverage 24X7 at every angle, every person, every witness interviewed, until people who are already mentally unstable are triggered to copy cat whatever they are bombarded with.

This is all new and the real studies are already going full force but I don't see this any different as the lemmings suicide of teens

Are suicides imitative? Though media-fueled teen suicide outbreaks sound more like the stuff of Hollywood films than real life, research published today in The Lancet Psychiatry journal confirms their existence.

“It just seems so frightening, but a lot of behaviors are modeled,” says Dr. Madelyn Gould of the New York State Psychiatric Institute and lead author of the study.

Heightened newspaper coverage following a young adult’s suicide is significantly linked to subsequent self-inflicted deaths, according to Gould’s research. Her study finds that the more sensational the reporting, the more details provided, and the more prominent the story’s placement, the more likely it was that additional suicides would follow. What’s more, the study reinforces the opinion that irresponsible reporting on suicide overwhelmingly impacts the young. According to another study by the same author, the prevalence of copycat suicide is up to four times higher in young adults than any other age group.

The theory of copycat suicides—fueled by media coverage—has long been studied in academic circles. Most of this research leans on social learning theory, the idea that when a vulnerable teen identifies with a suicide victim, he might choose the same fate, thinking, “’Well, maybe that’s a way out for me. I’m experiencing that same pain, those same problems,’” Gould explains. And it might not even be a conscious decision, she says: “It may just activate a suicidal thought in someone that has it in the back of their heads. You don’t want this thought to become a behavior.”

SO to answer @Sierra Mike question? My answer is the media. Their business depends on it, it's unethical, and it's a scourge in many facets of our society.

8. Sierra Mike

I think you're correct in the assessment that it's a very large component, but I'm not certain it addresses the root instability that makes the issue come together. In every society, there are people who act out against the norm, including violently. We seem to have a lot of folks who fly under the radar on this issue, only to have them reach some critical mass somewhere in their lives where they think picking up a firearm, driving to a school, and killing kids is a good idea. Clearly, they're into it for the "martyrdom" aspect--very rarely, if ever, do they drive to a police station and open fire. (I suspect nothing more remarkable than plain old cowardice is a core component in this decision.)

Laying it at the feet of the media--whores one and all, to be sure, from Rupert Murdoch to Harvey Weinstein to Dan Rather to Chris Matthews, et al, is just too simplistic. I don't disagree that it's a catalyst, but even a catalyst can't cause a reaction in a vacuum. There's something else that's out there, some stressor that's being overlooked.

For what it's worth, the same thing is occurring in China, only with knives.

Allene likes this.
  9. ethics

Fair enough. Then I would think it's more of Tom's explanation of upbringing.

10. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, I can see all three working together.

11. ethics

12. Sierra Mike

Ah, no kidding? Hey, wait--you're the guy who plays Captain Obvious on the hotels.com commercials, right? :D

13. ethics

14. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

15. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

16. ethics

That was great.