1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$7,000.00 Breakfast for Two

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikepd, Jan 15, 2003.

1. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

The wife and I just got back from an overnight stay getting our respective polysonogram study done. Otherwise known as a sleep test. This was a repeat for me as I have lost a good bit of weight thanks to one of my meds for chronic pain which has the side effect of being an appetite suppressant with none of the side effects of traditional appetite drugs like ephedrine. This was her first study and an interesting experience it is.

A tech comes in after you change into pajamas and wires you up for ekg, eeg, sensors for chest expansion, and in my case, you get to wear nasal plugs for the breathing equipment which have sensors so they can control the amount of pressure provided to keep the airway open. Also supplemental oxygen if needed.

You then go to bed and it is all video taped while readings from the sensors are recorded. The techs are right outside and if you need anything, you simply call them. If you have to go to the bathroom during the night, let them know before hand and they can give extra lead length and you then can go by yourself. Where we went the lab's rooms are like a small motel room. Other labs can vary. We had separate rooms, of course. In the morning, around 6:15, they get you up, you can shower to get the eeg gel out of your hair and so forth.

The policy where we went is to give you a complimentary ticket for breakfast worth, I believe up to $4.00 in the cafeteria.

When I had my first sleep study back in 1996, I saw what the hospital billed Blue Cross/BlueShield and it was for $3,500.00 thus the title of this thread. I have no idea what the cost for a study is today and as always, YMMV. Since we have HMO we have no co-pay for this particular test.

Sleep apnea can be of three types- obstructive, central, or mixed. Obstructive is where there is a blockage between the airway and the lungs. Central is a neurological condition where the brain does not give the proper commands to breathe. Mixed is a combination of the two.

I have obstructive sleep apnea.

Sleep apnea is a very dangerous condition that must be properly diagnosed and treated. At the least it can take years off your life expectancy and lead to many health related problems. At worse, it can lead to premature death. Signs of sleep apnea are snoring, not feeling refreshed after your usual night's sleep, falling asleep during the day, jerky limb movements before going to sleep and more.

Here is a link to the National Sleep Foundation:

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/nsaw/pk_warningsigns.html

As for the breakfast, it was quite good. A bit early for this former second shift person. But the lead tech told me that they were able to lower my pressure and did not need to use supplemental oxygen. Made the breakfast taste that much better.

Now if they can do something for my dear wife, it will be just grand. For she is the wind beneath my wings.

If you or someone you care about have any of the signs of sleep apnea, I urge you to get it checked out. See your physician. I want you around for a long time.

Mike

2. Domh

Domh Full Member

I smack my tongue against the roof of my mouth when sleeping, making a LOUD 'clicking' noise.

Its constant if Ive been drinking, happens a little otherwise.

My darlin' is a light sleeper.

Ive seen the docs, etc. Not a ONE of them has ever heard of such a thing, and has nothing to say about it.

Has nothing to do with apnea or snoring or any known sleep disorder.

Im a 'clicker' - basically a total freak.

;)

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

A freak not, we just rather think of you as somewhat unique ;)

4. Domh

Domh Full Member

LMAO

:thumbsup:

5. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

Copz says I kick alot in my sleep. I don't notice it much except before I go to sleep. It sometimes feels like muscle spasms in my calfs, usually my right leg. I went to the library and read up on it once. The med. books called it restless leg syndrom.

Copz has a bad habit of grinding his teeth while he sleeps. I don't know why he does that.

6. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

As always, see your primary physician. Never be afraid or embarrassed to discuss health issues. Sleep matters are not usually delicate but others certainly can be. Nonsense. Nothing a doctor has not heard before. Better a little loss of dignity than lost years or life.

Get the two of you seen (drag him if you have too) or I will make a citizen's arrest. ;)

7. Attila

Attila Registered User

Actually, Domhain Ol' Boy, tougue actions such as yours are an attempt to regress to suckling. Or maybe you miss those LSD pops from awhile back.
    There is no cure, but wearing a goalie's mask will take your mind off it.

8. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Who is this new guy?

I like him already!

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

LMAO!

Nice to see you back atilla - its been fun around here.

Dont be such a stranger ya ole coot.

;)

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I have a similar problem with my tongue after I've been drinking. In addition, it detaches itself from my brain and makes me regret what its done in the morning.:)

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

LOL!

:thumbsup: