1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$50 a barrel

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Something's got to give. :(

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What's going to give is our obsession and addiction to oil. Bring it on!

3. Violet1966

4. ethics

Because it's not economically demanding YET. Higher prices will push more people in to research and inventions.

5. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Oil is a commodity. All commodities are going through the roof. As long as our Gov allows the dollar to tank, commodities will keep going up. :)

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Very good point. However, me thinks this may be by design. After all, there are some benefits to a tanking dollar.

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

What's going to give is that consumers and companies that don't have a serious need for larger vehicles are going to be buying fewer trucks, SUVs and other gas hogs and start buying European type cars. There will probably be a lot more small luxury vehicles sold too.

Benefits to a tanking dollar? Like what? And for who? Surely not for America.

8. ethics

Americans make small cars and those companies that don't will shift to doing so in order to compete. Don't rule out America's competitiveness. ;)

Shrinking trade deficit for one.

9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well....

1. American companies with a large international presence should see an increase in earnings as the dollar declines.
    2. As our dollar falls, American-made goods become more desirable for export. aka competitive advantage.
    3. Additionally, a declining dollar increases the price of oil. It will eventually reach a price that will cause us to kick the innovation into high gear and find a real alternative to oil. I know it's a long-term benefit which will result in lots of suffering before we see the benefits....but some day there will be a benefit.

That's about all I could come up with off the top of my head.

10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

It's gonna be hard to compete with the UAW having such high labor prices, although the new two tier wage system should help some.

11. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

12. dsl987

dsl987 Member

13. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

And that is just retarded. Clean coal technology is here, now. We can do so much with it to sever our reliance on oil. We have 200 years worth of the stuff in the ground to satisfy our own energy demands.

14. Violet1966

This country is losing it.

Anyone happen to catch this week on the news where the head of the military something or other here, went to China? The questions he asked and the answer he got from the Chinese military leader. This is not good.

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just to sum up what a few earlier posts pointed out, the decreasing ("tanked") value of the dollar opens up the international market to increasingly compete with American citizens for our own resources and drives up our consumer costs: coal and wheat being the examples stated above. This probably helps US producers but it harms the "man in the street."

I agree with Coot, we should be closing down petroleum fueled power plants and should build new power plants using clean coal technology. This would help improve our trade balance and probably create US jobs too.

16. mikeky

mikeky Member

Petroleum is a very minor fuel source for power plants in the U.S. I can see coal producers trying to expand their market based on the virtual moratorium on new coal-fired power plants in some regions of the U.S. Several threads here discuss the menacing tone taken towards the planning of new plants.

17. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Clean coal technology does not burn coal as a feedstock, per se. It's a coal gasification project that converts the energy in the coal to methane. It's cheap, clean and has already been done to prove the technology.

http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/coalpower/cctc/newsletter/documents/cct_spring96.pdf

http://www.osti.gov/bridge/servlets/purl/823703-EhUFVk/native/823703.pdf

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

No power plants should be burning petroleum. Zero!

Everybody says, "Not in MY back yard!" Well fine, then have a recession in your back yard. We've passed the point where being fussy works. Our country is being financially weakened in many ways, including importation of petroleum. The choice isn't whether or not we want a coal power plant in our back yard, it's whether we want a back yard at all, or be in the position of renting space in back yards owned by foreign interests. Or maybe the choice is between no coal plant or having a job. You pick.

Coot's a good researcher and I'm accepting his statement that we can have coal plants and clean air at the same time (my inference). We'll probably be stuck with some locales having ugly plants. It's better than having an ugly economy particularly when the other choice is losing everything.

19. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Saw this on another website - if true it does not look good for beef prices.

"Eat the beef now" -- thus spracht economist (Eric Bolling[sp?]) on "Fox and Friends" (as I type this). Beef is cheap -- because the farmers cannot afford to feed their cattle. So, they are pushing them into the slaughterhouses.

The result is cheap beef now -- and no beef later.

20. ethics

Uhm, Oil is PLUMMETING. Down almost 4 bucks!