1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$50 a barrel

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Looks like Brazil has more oil than they thought

I wonder how this news will affect the market? :banghead:

It never ceases to amaze me how much a news blurb can affect the price of oil...or any other publicly traded stock for that matter.

How are U.S. relations with Brazil?
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Pretty decent.
  3. Domh

Domh Full Member

Brazil. Smoking hot women and lots of cheap oil.

Could it get any better?

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well, you could always sell your new bed, not buy that hot car you're talking about, forget about relocating to NZ, and go there instead. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Oh I have never had any interest in moving to Brazil... just noting they have hot women and oil.

I do not have a new bed.

I do not have a new car.

I am not moving to NZ anytime soon if ever.

You... are scaring me.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

What? you mean you didn't post a poll about buying a new AWD car, or mention that your Sleep Number bed is only a year old, or that you really, really, REALLY want to immigrate to New Zealand?

My mistake! :haha:

7. Greg

Greg Full Member

And ask Dommy how long he's had his car. He's not driving some old wreck like his putting on the dog act implies. :) (I've just bought the same car he has but I have the 2007 model in V8.)

I have a feeling we may be facing the beginning of a steep upward curve in oil prices and a resultant huge rise in gasoline prices. I believe that European style prices are only a short step away. In fact I may have made a mistake in picking the car I just bought, one getting 16/19 EPA mileage. I've already adjusted my driving habits to nearly old man category, and will probably face economic pressure forcing me to curtail my driving. Fortunately most of my driving has been commuting, something that is not necessary in my semi-retired present status. I'll probably have to buy a good mileage used basher if I resume commuting.

I believe we may be seeing the end of $3/gallon gasoline and $4 may be the new standard, with $5-$6 the inevitable result of future refinery outages or other market mishaps. If there is any major upheaval in the Middle East we will probably face $10-$20 per gallon prices combined with rationing and mandatory car pooling. Things are looking bleak, and forget about sub-$3 gasoline. I think those days are over.
  8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Oil Officials See Limit Looming on Production

This news won't help matters in the least. The oil folks are finally admitting something that has been discussed for years in places like lifeaftertheoilcrash. Except now this topic is being removed out from under the tin-foil-hats. Hopefully this will spur some realistic honest discussions amongst our policy makers and big oil companies.

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

Do you see a connection between our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan as having a significant effect on the value of the dollar and our economy in general?
  10. Greg

Greg Full Member

I do. We are sinking huge amounts of money down an endless rat hole. That can't possibly be helping the dollar. It's an (IMO) nonproductive waste of our economic resources. I may know nothing about economics but I blame the war in Iraq for a big part of our economic woes.
  11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

12. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Fun fun fun. Well our oil tank is low earlier this year and we have to put at least 100 gallons in to qualify for delivery. We usually dump 100 gallons in in April and this year it's coming sooner with the colder winter we've had, even with using wood heat with oil. The price? We have to shell out like 359 dollars on Wednesday after shopping for best prices all day since our usual supplier seemed a bit high. Sick of this already with the oil prices. :(
  13. Greg

Greg Full Member

Next year you'll fondly remember when oil prices were only $3.59 per gallon.
  14. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Oil was $31/barrel when GWB took office. It was at $108/barrel the other day. I did some calculation and found that if the rate of increase stays the same, we will see $375/barrel by 2016.
  15. Violet1966

Why is it this stuff is allowed to be on the stock market if it could be prematurely driving prices up? I wonder, will it one day be pulled and regulated so things are more balanced with the price? I don't know enough about this stuff, but read it over and over the market messes it up. Shouldn't it stop already? :(
  16. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

World wide demand and futures speculators are the big culprits of the oil prices. Plus, it doesn't help that China is stockpiling at an alarming rate, eating up supply.
  17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

The rest of the world has learned to play our (the U.S.) game...and they're doing a much better job...for now.
  18. Violet1966

Yeah along with all our soy apparently! I'm so mad over all this. It's just crazy. We help too much. It hurts us. And this market thing has to stop. It shouldn't be allowed at this point, with everything else it effects, to be on the market for the prices to be played with that way. Just too much at stake. These prices are going to do some real damage with all the other stuff going on right now. :(
  19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

The price of oil is directly relected in the drop in the value of the dollar. If you have dollars and they are dropping, what do you do? You sell and buy gold (now nearly $1,000) or Oil.
  20. Greg

Greg Full Member

If you follow the same extrapolation, gasoline will be $16/gal by 2016.

Not that I expect it won't.