1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$50 a barrel

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I just paid $1.64 and that wasn't the cheapest, there was another station a few blocks out that was a drop less.
  2. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

1.78 up here today. Not as painful to fill up the car anymore. ;)
  3. m1taylo

m1taylo Full Member

I saw that gasoline futures closed at $1.09 today.
  4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Local stations have finally reached $1.50 today. Never thought I'd see it that low again. If the weather is not too bad Monday I'm taking a drive. :) Even if it is I can take the gas hog Jeep now.
  5. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Isn't it beautiful? :love:

*praying these prices never go any higher ever again*
  6. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I actually filled my tank for $24 this week. The highest was $53 during the summer.
  7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Ok, I am too lazy to go back through this thread and find exactly when I made the $40/bbl before XMas prediction, but oil closed at $41.00 on Firday. Whodda thunk it?
  8. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Seeing 1.499 around here at a few stations (Murphy's mainly). Sure is nice filling up for $22 or so versus $50+

If it were bike season, even bone dry, it would only cost $7.50 to fill my bike up.

HURRY UP SPRING! *sigh*

(Dad and I rode to my sister's house on Thanksgiving. It was a little chilly lol)
  9. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

10. MNeedham73

That's a little surprising since OPEC announced a production cut of 2.2m barrels yesterday.
  11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Surprising indeed. But a very pleasant surprise.

I was listeneing to an Economist podcast the other night...forget which one....but they were discussing Saudi Arabia's budget. Very interesting piece. In order for Saudi Arabia to maintain a balanced budget, oil needs to sell at or above $38.00/bbl. Once it drops below that mark, they start going into the red. Iran on the other hand (and I believe Russia) needs that mark to be $75.00/bbl. For whatever that's worth....
  12. MNeedham73

Iran and Russia. Awww, that just breaks my heart that they're bleeding cash right now. ;)
  13. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Yeah, me too. Any way we can stop using oil altogether?
  14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

One of my pet peeves of this forum. You make an incredible prediction, an accute observation, and yet no one gives you a pat on the back for it.

Dude, HUGE props on that. That came out of no where and when you made it initially, I thought you were nuts!!!

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well it didn't really come out of nowhere, but thanks for the kudos. It came from months of reading and observation. I knew the bubble wouldn't last.

Prices will eventually go back up. We can all count on that. I firmly believe there will be a supply shortage in our lifetime. But there's nothing like a good ole economic downturn to curb consumption. ;-)
  16. ethics

Then you should be cheered for that acumen even more.
  17. ethics

18. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Bring it on, bitches! There's even less driving I can do!

Oh, and Dubai? English Lit. 101.
  19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I just turned 6,000 miles on my only vehicle, a 2007 4Runner, purchased new in Oct. 2007. I'm seriously wondering if it's time for my second oil change yet.

Not needing to commute does wonders. :)

p.s. It still smells new, having been garaged most days and every night! :)
  20. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Get an oil change, now!

That kind of usage is actually worse for an engine than any other besides towing heavy loads in the mountains!

The oil never gets hot enough to burn off all the moisture; that, in turn, reacts with the oil to create acidic compounds which eat away at the metal.