1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 loonies on the loose?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Darn Canadians doing it to us again, "The men may have entered the United States from Canada."

3. -Ken

-Ken Guest

"The men may have entered the United States from Canada."

And, they may not have.
    Apparently, we don't know.
    Awesome job we're doing here.
    Ashcroft, Ridge and Poindexter, I feel
    As safe as a baby in my mother's arms.
    <small>Assholes, we've put our faith in incompetent assholes.</small>

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Well, wait a minute, Ken. Thousands upon thousands of illegal immigrants sneak into the U.S. from Mexico every year and we can't seem to stop it, no matter which Administration was in charge.

And you're criticizing this government for failing to notice 5 men who managed to sneak in? I think it's pretty good that they know the names are are actively looking for them.

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Your out of line Ken.

Would you rather nobody was keeping watch? Ill take 'may' over 'shit goober i aint got no idear' any day and I think you would as well.

Would you rather have incompetent assholes or NO assholes doing the incredibley difficult and oftentimes thankless job of keeping lunatics from trying to slaughter YOU and YOUR family?

You want to feel safe, but express nothing but derision for those who are working to keep you safe. Are they perfect? No. Are they making all the perfect decisions? No. Are they doing SOMETHING so that you dont have to live behind concertina wire with auto-turrets? YES.

Just because the media reports the word 'MAY' you jump all over the feds calling them assholes. Unfair.

There are alot of reasons that word was used. You make it seem like they said ' Bin Laden MAY be holed up on Mars'.

It really angers me when people who have SO MUCH piss and moan. Yes, Im guilty - I bash this country all the time, but Im damn careful to keep my mouth shut when it comes to those men and women who are trying to keep me and mine from being murdered.

6. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

"... five men who may have entered the United States illegally within the past week..."

"... but said it had no specific information the men were connected to terrorist activities..."

"Sources said that if the men are in the United States..."

"Although the names appear to be Pakistani, officials said they do not know for sure where the men are from, and the FBI said the names and ages may be fictitious...."

"...They [might have] lost track. [They] can be trying to disrupt an operation. [They] could have a number of purposes at once,..."

"... The men may have entered the United States from Canada on or around December 24, the FBI said. Sources said a good chance exists the men had already entered the country..."

"... The men were not being tracked, the sources said, and authorities do not know whether they might have crossed the 4,000-mile-long border together or separately...."

Looks like a lot of mindless speculation to me.

7. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

Now, wait a second. I rather think -Ken had a point.
    (And it's not often you'll hear me say that ;) )

For the billions & billions & billions of dollars we budget towards our intellegence services each year, this is what they come up
    with?

Maybe these are their names.
    Maybe they entered the country together, or maybe not.
    Maybe they know something, so we'd like to question them.

I will agree that they're working hard, but, I ask, to what degree of efficiency?
    (Or, perhaps, this is just piss poor reporting by CNN.)

But, if true, our agencys are going to have to do better than this, if they're going to convince us that they'll EVER be able to shield us from the harm of 'terrorists'.

We citizens are at risk of losing our Constitutional Freedoms and Rights for results such as this?
    This witchhunt stuff is nonsense.

Regards,

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I have to agree with Ken and FrankF, too much speculation, not enough facts.

9. Domh

Domh Full Member

Modern media addicted to "news" combined with a Federal government addicted to words like "maybe, dunno, could, might" makes for stories like this.

Its one to watch, certainly not a reason to call the Feds 'incompetent assholes'.

10. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Oh excuse me,

I actually thought it was funny.
    Cut me a break, What color alert are we at? Let me check, it's fuschia! Jesus, let me check my color code chart. I think this could be serious.

Listen, if they want to release a picture of Whitey Bulger and ask for the public for help, I can deal with that. This is an attempt at "public awareness" if they want help finding terrorists, give us something real to work on and I doubt you'll find too many Americans who are too busy to help.

But I will tell you what, I'm sick of these "We have information that something might happen somewhere." Hey here's a news flash. No Freaking Shit! I already know that.

If you can't do better than that, get me a JEdgar Hoover clone who can.

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

The pictures and names of the individuals are right there on the site you so clearly didnt even take the time to look at.

Put yer money where yer mouth is amigo - go get em.

;)

12. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

OK. Their pictures are right there on the website, and they possibly maybe might be in the US illegally. So what? What are they wanted for? I hate illegal immigration just as much as the next guy, but the CNN article I read is full of nothing but speculation.

BTW, the number of illegal aliens crossing the Mexican border into the US is estimated at over 10,000 per day http://www.washtimes.com/op-ed/20021006-99926034.htm

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

That's an interesting number.

Mexico's population is 103 million. The population growth rate is 1.47%. That's an annual growth rate of 1.5 million people per year.

Ten thousand people per day equates to 3.65 million people per year. Even accounting for re-crossings, this number must be grossly overestimated.

Population growth is the net of births, deaths, immigration, and emigration. I don't see how a country could be losing an estimated 3.65 million people per year to emigration and experience a growth rate of 1.5 million people per year.

Unless the Washington Times' estimate is grossly incorrect.....

14. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I am not sure if the number is correct, I only quoted it.

But my wife (and also my ex-wife) both used to work at manufacturing places in the San Fernando Valley (west Los Angeles county) and both said the INS would raid the factories and deport illegal workers, and they would see the same workers return to work a week later.

My ex-wife used to work in Payroll at one company and they never bothered processing final checks for a week or two because the employees always came back.

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I didn't mean to imply anything about you, sorry.

It probably is accurate if they're counting re-entries.

16. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

In publicly releasing information that is obtained by intelligence sources the releasing agency is very limited in what it can say so as not to reveal how they came to know what they know.

Hypothetically say we give the true names of the people in question as opposed to the names they are traveling under. Well the people who they work for are for on a need to know basis. And it turns out only Tom, Dick, and Harry in the terrorist cell know their real names. So that means one of the three leaked or told the names to the intelligence agency and it working for us. So if we used the suspects real names, either Tom, Dick, or Harry would have an immediate health problem.

This is just a very simple example of why the vagueness in giving out information.

17. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

-Ken, we have reason to believe these five entered the country illegally and the government wants to question them. Simple. Why is this worthy of a bash? Clearly our borders are not secure and I don't hear anybody seriously proposing making them secure? The government made the only announcment they could. Did you expect, "We kwow we are stupid but we still want to talk to these guys because Joe H. in Yemen told us about them via the secret radio in his attic."

18. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    In the second department DA's office, one used to write briefs on certain cases with exactly the names Tom, Dick, and Harry, as placemarkers for the staff, so that the innocent lawyers who worked on writing motions, etc, would not be killed for knowing names they were better off not knowing.
    One would then underscore on the typewriter, use the initials, in pencil, and the executive attorney would fill in the blanks with pen.
    Sounds funny now. It was not, then.
    Personally, I was tired one night, working in translations for the MI, and translated a long German name as "General What'shisface." The transcriptionist did not bother to go back and correct. It went thus to my superiors. The indexing transcriptionist saw the new name, and started, without so much as a smile, I would guess, a new file, under "W."

Cheers,
    M

19. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

No offense taken.

Whether the numbers are right or wrong though. I have respect for a man who would cross the border illegally to work... get deported... and then return to the same job (300 miles north of the border)... only to risk the same thing happening again in a few weeks.

They sure have a better work ethic than many people born in the US.

20. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

I agree with you completely.