1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 more warheads?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Jan 19, 2003.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere.

What do you think of the possibilities?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=World&cat=Iraq

Four More Warheads Are Found in Iraq
    54 minutes ago

By HAMZA HENDAWI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Top U.N. officials said Baghdad disclosed it found four more empty chemical warheads like a dozen others discovered last week, and said there had been "some progress" Sunday in talks to win greater Iraqi cooperation with arms inspectors.

In Washington, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said he supports giving Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and other Iraqi leaders immunity from war crimes prosecution if they go into exile. Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) warned that time was running out for the Iraqis.

2. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I really don't see him going into exile. What country would have him and more importantly, what country would Saadam feel 100% safe in? Such is the conundrum faced by an absolute dictator. Even if he did leave, what is to prevent his son from taking over or someone just as ruthless?

I think that at this late stage war is almost inevitable.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

It really is a shame that diplomacy won't work in that country. :(

4. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Well, we have one week to see if the turnover of the 4 new shells leads to new disclosures just before the Jan 27th Inspection report. I expect to see some more caveats given by the Iraqi government if just to show the arab world and the peace demonstrators that they are cooperating. Of course these will be minor and PR disclosures. But it will be enough to fuel more demonstrations against the war and possibly tie the hands of the US even more. I cannot see how an extension can last longer than a few weeks before the GO/No Go option must be used. The US better have some smoking gun or at least very valuable info to feed the public and world opinion if it wishes to initiate it's mission. They still haven't got it across that Iraq is already in material breach.

The Saudi proposal is still viable----exile. This will at the very least keep the US from a long term stay in their region. To have Israel AND the US together with a foothold and a very strong one at that, in the middle of their territory is something no Arab nation wants.

I find Perry's KGB solution lessening every day. It would also be in Russia's favor to implement their plan before it is too late. This would be a major setback if war comes to Iraq without Russian participation as they will lose what market they have been developing. The same goes for France. If the exiled Iraqi patriots are set up as a puppet government, those nations will be the big losers.

The