1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Exercises for Strengthening Your Mental Toughness

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

ShinyTop likes this.
  2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Age old argument. Nature or nurture, tough to tell. By the time a person has demonstrated leadership how do we know that the nurture part was just right to make the leader appear to be a natural.

Personal observation is that the sense of duty or responsibility is the key. Without that all the training in the world is useless. Responsibility is what makes the leader face the bad situation without disappearing because it is his job. What training does is enable the right decision to be made once you have faced the responsibility. That feeling of responsibility comes from accepting the job or from fearing the consequences of not facing it.

I'm 66 now and I remember well the feeling that I was playing a role, no way did I feel that I was an officer and that I innately knew the right decision. After the event was over I could usually say, ya, I did that right, I did a good job. But it has always felt like I was watching a play written by someone else. But as the event unfolds I found I knew what had to be done. Once that feeling sunk in I was able to do it.

cmhbob, Allene and ethics like this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks Rick. Good stuff.