1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1M to Lose Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Did someone say Union for the white collar workers? You know, the bulk of the people who are making this country money?

Jo-Anne Hurlston can't find a job after nearly six months of searching, even with her master's degree and experience in education, human resources and the hospitality industry.

She's one of nearly 1 million unemployed workers across the country who will start losing jobless benefits three days after Christmas because Congress failed to grant an extension before leaving for the year.

"All the money that's being spent on homeland security and we're left stranded," said Hurlston, 47, a single mother with a 12-year-old daughter. "If they want more money for homeland security, we have to be able to work to pay taxes."

Full story here

Folks, as you well know I support our leaders in their international affairs. However, we REALLY need to start looking inside the US for more pressing problems. Our own are suffering now--not potential for suffering, but sure as the sun will rise tomorrow.

My solution? When economy is below a certain economic indicator (name one or two) we extend unemployment to all.

I can't believe this Congress. First the military benefits, and now this. Great job?

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

What do you expect from these dimwit Republicans?

3. ethics

Only Republicans?

4. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

My benefits were exhausted about two weeks ago...I'm 10 months and 8 days from my last fulltime post. Haven't really worked an honest day since then. :)

SM

5. Robert Harris

They control our government and the legislative agenda, in case you haven't noticed. And hostorically it is teh Democrats who have fought for extended UI benefits when in recession and the like.

6. ethics

Bob, I am not totally disagreeing with you, but I view Congress as a whole. I would love to see who voted NAY! on this bill and why. My guess is that you would see a hefty amount of Democrats.

7. Robert Harris

Yeah. There are real fools in my party, too. But none as bad as the current Republican leadership.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

Probably because Jo-Anne Hurlston won't take a significant pay cut, or wants to stay in the area she lives, or any other conditions she has put on her employment. If you are willing to take something that pays, doesn't matter what it is? Then go look for the Job that you want. What the Personal Office sees is someone who is more interested in the perfect job than making any money. Also these lazy people out there that only look for a job once a week, enough to collect unemployment. They use it as a vacation rather than what it was intended for. Wait till something happens to a friend and they have to go onto disability, then you really have to make some changes to your lifestyle. I had to sell my Semi-detached Condo and move into a cheaper apartment complex, drive a 10+year old car, reduce my physical possessions.

I guess some people want to be take care of by the Nanny System, but not me. If I had spent a fraction of my fica contribution into a retirement and another into a real insurance policy against being disabled, I would be living the life of Riley. The fact that I had government disability made me never consider the possibility. The fact that the this was probably service related left me unprepared for their denial of benefits. I pity all those poor unemployed people living hand to mouth when they are responsible in part for their situation. You made your bed so lie in it, just like I made my bed badily and am now stuck here. Yeah blame the government for the fact that I was not smart enough or given the education in HS or college to realize that these things could happen. All that extended unemployment benefits are going to do at this point is enable people to prevent the changes they have to make.

9. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Once they're voted in, they all shit on the same pot.
    Most of them don't give a damn about the American people. Their only concern is to feather their own nest.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Hoo-ah.

SM

11. ethics

I second that. Pretty good sum-up, Immortal.