1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100 years ago... FLU Pandemic

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 7, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Yah I bet you are tired of me writing about this but...

To be honest, it could have been and SHOULD have been a LOT worse. What saved it from being a total blow out was foundation put in place by a few good men who re-thought the medical establishments. It's why I doubt it can happen again -- or at least result in the same mortality rate % wise.

The 1918 Flu Pandemic: Why It Matters 100 Years Later | | Blogs | CDC

Allene likes this.
  2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think I received mandatory flu vaccines while I was in the military. Have not received one in 24 years since .. until this year. I asked for one after reading we lost 80,000 lives in the US to flu last year. It strikes the youngest and oldest the hardest. I am only 70 but think I better get in the habit before I grow old.

ethics and Allene like this.
  3. Allene

Allene Registered User

I've done a lot of reading on this over the years. I had cousins, who went to Boston and died there during the epidemic.

ethics likes this.
  4. Allene

Allene Registered User

One of my neighbors got very sick from the flu last year and ended up in the hospital. I've been getting these shots since my forties. One year (1996) the flu came later in our area, after our shots had worn off. We both got really sick from it.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Ed and I have also had two pneumonia shots (two different ones). That's for older folks 65+, I think.

6. ethics

I think that's a more pressing sucker that gets people. Even with the FLU, that is usually the secondary infection that kills people.

Allene likes this.
  7. Allene

Allene Registered User

EXACTLY! That's what actually killed the cousins. Also, the neighbor last year who had to go to the hospital was going septic. Scary stuff!

ethics likes this.
  8. Arc

Arc Full Member

Regarding the "regular" flu and the vaccinations for it, I've had a curiosity and question about it for decades. Now I know the that three to four strains of "common" flu vary somewhat year to year and also in which is the the most prominent. My understanding that range of strain variance is minimum. That is this year's strain(s) may be somewhat different than last years but it is the same as, say, four years ago.

Given the above scenario I have often wonderd that since we get a flu shot every year, (like the last 40 or so us old folks), shouldn't we have built up a functional permanent immunity to the common flu? (After all I speculate we have in the lengthy of a span been vaccinated multiple times for the same strain. I mean its just math or a likely statistical liklihood.)

Everytime I have raised the above question or issue with a doctor or RN, they pause, think about it, then respond: "That's a good question. It makes sense but I'm not sure." (Or words to that effect.)

Shiny, the unit I spent most of my time in had to have worldwide immunizations current all the time. So we got vaccinated more than a few times with probably every frigging vaccine that existed back then. (Yellow Fever and Typhus are two of the more exotics that I recall.) We usually got shot with the air gun instead of needles. The consensus was give us the needle if we have a choice.

This year I got the regular flu shot from the VA and the 4 x powered for seniors through the local drugstore. I did the latter just get some benefit from my Medicare for what I pay them but never use them.

9. ethics

Each shot you get, even if it's NOT for the current strain, DOES build up your immunity and even if you do get infected by a different strain, your body will not suffer (and potentially succumb) to a secondary infection.

Bottom line, vaccines help. Many times save lives.

Allene likes this.