1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0% blame for person who pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by drslash, Nov 14, 2002.

1. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Once again our courts and lawyers have shown their insanity. The jury in the case found that the school board was 45% to blame, the gun owner 50% to blame and the manufacturer 5% to blame for the shooting of a school teacher.

Jury Orders Gun Distributor to Pay Victim's Widow

I think I'll go kick my dog now since I won't have to take any blame for doing it. The dog can sue Nike.

2. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

I have nothing to say. Sorry I am numb by now.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Holy shit:

<i>Widow Pam Grunow sued distributor Valor Corp., claiming the small, cheap pistol of the kind used by the student killer often fall into the hands of juveniles and criminals. It was the first case to address both the absence of a gun lock and the flaws associated with a cheap, easily concealable weapon.</I>

So does this leave the window wide open for me to sue several pharmecuetical companies for making a drug for veterinary use but is easily stolen from vet clinics and used as a rape drug? %45 them, 50% the ass who raped me, and 5% the vet clinic ???

I am ashamed to be in Florida right now...

4. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

[sarcasm] Ah, but you only get away without any blame if you steal them from your neighbor's house while your dog is being boarded - you see, Nike is only 5% responsible... the owner of the shoes is 50% to blame... and the boarding facility (since they let you in), 45% responsible... [/sarcasm]

Yes, the American justice system at its very best... :rolleyes:

5. drslash

Re: Re: 0% blame for person who pulled the trigger

OMG, Sunriser, are you a lawyer? ;)

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Not even close, drslash - believe it or not, I thought about it at one time (a looooong time ago :) ), but soon realized my conscience would never allow me to be sucessful at it...

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

They would have found blame for the shooter if he had any money.

8. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

I knew Barry and his brother Kurt. Good people.

The Justice system? What justice?

9. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Absurd. What more is there to say? I could easily spout off dozens of ridiculous analogies. Either you see this as the bullshit that it really is or you are a complete moron incapable of intelligent reasoning. And I really mean that. I haven't read any of the other responses yet, but if anyone suggests this is anything BUT 100% bullshit, he/she will have a very difficult time gaining back the respect that I lost for him/her.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

This is disgusting.

SM

11. drslash

Since everyone here agrees that this is rubbish, the bigger question now is:

How can this be stopped?

I seriously think this sort of lawsuit and the result is as big of a threat to freedom in this country as anything. And I don't specifically mean gun rights either. This sort of case advanced by lawyers and sanctioned by judges have been going on for years in many different forms. The lawyers and judges that produce these results are a cancer on this country. I can't believe that we have to sit here and take this crap.

12. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

How can we stop this? Well, I think for starters, we need to find out what happens to people when they become part of a jury - unless, of course, the jury selection process is just so that both sides can agree to pick the most RETARDED PEOPLE ON THE PLANET to serve.

I like to give the benefit of the doubt that most people who serve on a jury are intelligent, autonomous human beings - what happens to them? How do people get so stupid when on a jury?

13. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This is the natural extension that is something bad happens we must find somebody to blame, somebody to compensate us. Then the <strike>jackals</strike> lawyers say "Did I her the word compensation?" They then parade the survivors with tears in their eyes and pull every violin string they can find, point to the rich people who mistakenly thought that people know not to put a ladder on a 45 degree slope. The jury, crying and in horror at the obvious guilt of people who have money, help the plaintiff, after all, the rich guy will never miss it.

Disclaimer: No reference to any current or proposed real suit was meant to be referenced in this rant. If any take offense who had a real case, no offense was meant.

14. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

There are various disturbing elements in this case, and some (in my opinion) not so disturbing, but I'm not sure what you folks above are so disgusted about. So far everyone is saying poo-poo but not explaining why. Please explain. Is it due to: <i>[Edit: due to my slow typing, several posts above seem to have answered this question already before I hit the send button, but I'll let the question stand for posterity]</i>
    <li> the fact that a gun distributor got sued?
    <li> the fact that the school got sued?
    <li> the fact that blame is being handed out in little measured packets?
    <li> the fact that the plaintif was awarded a 24 million dollar settlement (of which she's likely to see not a red cent, even though her lawyers were asking for 75 mil)?
    <li> all of the above?

The only <i>really</i> disgusting thing I see about this case is money grubbing lawyers trying to cash in, <i>yet again</i>, on a senseless tragedy. Come on, asking for 75 million dollars? What's a lawyer's take on something like this -- 20%, 30%, 40%? And they only got 24 million awarded, and only 5% from the gun distributor, so now he wants to appeal to make the gun distributor pay it all -- well, the kid ain't gonna pay 10.8 million, and the school ain't gonna pay 12 million.

Although I personally could care less about gun distributors -- sue them all for all I care -- this is just another case of greed. Beside, gun locks should have been mandatory for ALL pistols a long time ago, so sue the NRA and Republican party instead.

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

What I am disgusted about is how the majority of our society is OK with passing the blame onto coporations. It used to be that if you shot someone, it was YOU that would get 100% of the blame and go to jail and serve time.

This jury effectively set a precedence stating "hey you know what? There's really no such thing as personal responsibility anymore - now it's all about who's got the most benjamins." And that stinks.

16. drslash

Just to be sure, the person who killed the teacher is serving a life sentence for murder.

Yes, in the civil proceedings the money is the driving force behind this case. But if the blame was measured out rationally then the lawyer would get 40% of nothing.

17. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

In the Peoples' Republic of California the usual lawyer's contingency fee is:

1. 33 1/3 percent of the settlement amount if the case is settled without filing suit.

2. 40 percent of the settlement amount if a suit is filed but the case does not go to court.

3. 50 percent of the awarded damages if the case goes to trial and the plaintiff prevails.

And of course the lawyer's costs are tacked on or more appropriately deducted from the clients share of the settlement or award AND the lawyer still gets his full contengency fee percentage.