1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“you can’t eat your cake and have it too” Is Correct

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And I found this fascinating:

Not everyone has warmed up to this historical development. Most notoriously, a young Theodore J. Kaczynski learned from his mother that “you can’t eat your cake and have it too” was the correct way to say it. When Kaczynski later penned an anarchist manifesto in the guise of the Unabomber, the appearance of that particular turn of phrase helped F.B.I. analysts, working with Kaczynski’s brother David, identify who the author was and bring him to justice for his mail-bombing spree.

About the only thing the NYTimes and Noam Chomsky are good for these days are linguistics.

On Language - ‘Have Your Cake and Eat It Too’ - NYTimes.com

Allene likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Great article! That column has always been the best part of the NYT, even in the old days.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In the old days it was William Safire, he alone made me love that paper.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, he was wonderful! I knew he'd passed away.

ethics likes this.
  5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I love the Russian, German, and Yiddish versions of that aphorism.

Allene and ethics like this.
  6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, they're great! :)

7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

I was a heavy listener of talk radio when the Unabomber's Manifesto came out. One talk radio host (I think it was Hannidy) had a "guess the author" game with his callers.

The host would read a paragraph out of either the Unabomber Manifesto or Al Gore's Earth In The Balance. The listener had to guess which was which.

I got 100%, only because I always listened for the run-on, multi-subject sentences that comprised the Manifesto. That was the only difference. ;)