1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

“Not everyone needs to be medicated"

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I think it is an understatement of the decade if not the last 20 years, or ever since Prozac was approved by FDA. Here's an interesting tale of my nickname of ethics. I took Philosophy in school, more importantly I've studied it on my own because of what it triggered in my brain. We all go through ebbs and flows of emotions and we all go through bouts of being down and up. Well, reading works on philosophical learnings has helped me tremendously, so much so that I've never had to revert to a long-term medication. I am not knocking those that opt in for the medicated option, whatever works and whatever you feel is applicable.
    Just introducing another way of taking a look at your like and what's going on there. Biggest reason should be obvious, while there's no cure there are multitude of side-effects from medicating one self. On the other hand, why not take a look at how people dealt with it on a grander scale than you may believe is possible?

That's precisely what some professionals are now doing and not just doing it for themselves but prescribing it to their patients. Reading this made my day.
    Again, I have to emphasis the above, that this is NOT for everyone and you need to try it first to see if it works.
    What I like about this new way is that it's not limited to what I've studied (Western Philosophy) but throughout the mother earth:

I hope he is successful because this approach, while won't work for everyone, will certainly work for some. Even if it works for one person I would think it's a success.

http://wapo.st/vbKb4p

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

I've been thinking about this subject a lot lately, particularly with all the television adds for statins and other prescription drugs, and having seen a statistic about the number of people currently on anti-depressants (forgot the exact figure but it's huge). And like you said, these drugs have side effects, including some who have died from taking statins (liver problems), and including a worrisome number of people who seem to have taken anti-depressants and ended in suicide. I believe that lots of statin takers might sufficiently improve their cholesterol by diet and exercise alone, and that it may often be the case that taking a prescription might be treating the symptom rather than the disease, and may not relieve the symptoms anyway.

I wish the FDA had not relaxed the restrictions against advertising prescription drugs. I'd rather see PSAs encouraging people with specific symptoms to discuss their problems with their doctor. With all the prescription drug advertising I think it's more about profitability of the pharmaceutical industry than taking care of people.

I like the suggestion regarding studying philosophy and I'll give it some thought, see if I can come up with some works that appeal to me.

3. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I don't understand the relevance of your comment.

5. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

Not a Beatles fan, huh?

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Definitely, we should all do what works best for each of us. Me? I go for a walk free of charge with the dog in the hilly terrain of the rural West. Does wonders for both of us!

Some of those philosophers you mention would guarantee me a lifetime of clinical depression! To each his own!

7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

The brain is an amazing tool. The most amazing. I know in my own personal life the struggles I have encountered with panic/anxiety and smoking. Tried the medication route for each initially, but the results were temporary and only masked the symptoms; didn't fix the root cause. It wasn't until I started dealing with the mental aspects of each that I overcame both. Self-reflection and deep thought are hard. Meds are easy.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Nice posts, totally agree.

9. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I go to the range and do some shooting. Putting holes in targets makes me feel better.

10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

That helps a lot too (seriously).